Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird

I just read the header for these threads and it says "normal threads" - which this one is anything but....

My 2003 LRD2 runs sweet. I've done a ton of work on it over the recent years and no have codes or amigos. She's a beast with around 93k on the clock, but now I've got a weird clicking from beneath the dash. Sounds like a relay. This happens intermittently when driving with the odd click here or there, but really manifests itself as a problem when using the indicators.

When I turn on the indicator instead of the regular tick-tack-tick-tack-tick-tack, I get more of a jazz percussion jam with more of a tick-tack-tick-a-tack-tick-tack-tick-a-tick-tack. The tune can be quite fun yet is certainly indicative of a problem. At first seemed to be more prominent on one side but seems to have progressed to either indicator. Alright, smart money says the relays are bad, so I pony up for two more. Removed both, put one new one in and the problem didn't go away (left the other new one sealed in the bag). So now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what is causing the clicking. There are only two other relays on that side, one for the power windows, and one for the ignition coils. Both felt like they were clicking too. I removed the window one and still had a problem. Swapped the ignition coil and window relay's but still get the click.

Could be coincidental, but the door lock/unlock remote has been acting weird too. Now I need to push unlock twice to unlock the door.

I checked the fuses 13/14 in the engine bay and they are fine. I've tried reading the rave electrical diagram but I'm easily lost in all the pretty colored wires.

One other weird thing I just noticed is that when the indicator is in it's tick-a-tick lick, the shift indicator (P) light also flashes on the 'a' note. Too weird.

I'm relay (really) at a loss (pun intended) and not sure where to troubleshoot next. Any pointers would be helpful.

LRD2's probably just pissed that I've recently been considering an LR4 upgrade in the future

Old 09-28-2020, 10:20 AM
Mudding

Update 9/28/20
The clicking is still happening intermittently, and confirmed it has nothing to do with the turn signals. Some days - nothing, some days I get the occasional clicking and have noticed the light on the shift indicator flashes with the click. The noise is coming from the fuse box. As I've now swapped various relays, and after more anecdotal research, I believe the fuse box may have inbuilt relay(s) and one of these could be going bad. I've ordered a used fuse box off e-bay that will take a few weeks to reach island. Will provide an update once part is here and installed...

PS. if anyone needs brand new turn signal relays let me know.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,134 Likes on 612 Posts

I'd bet the interior / passenger compartment fusebox as well. Note fuseboxes in 99-02 are the same, 03-04 are different and not compatible to 99-02.

Sometimes they just fail, but often the fuse boxes start to fail because water drips on them. Any water leaks? If you pull the interior fusebox and see evidence of water intrusion on the fusebox, that may be something to fix as well.

Recently I visited a couple of junkyards to find a new passenger compartment fusebox for my 00 Disco. Of the 2 99's, and 1 2002 model there, all 3 had evidence of minor rust and and corrosion on the fusebox on various connectors. So my take is that this is pretty common reason for failure & I am in Oregon, loads of rain.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently had an issue with my 03 D2 and odd noises and lights. WIth me, it turned out to be a bad blub. I have LED bulbs for markers, indicators, and brake lights. One of the LED brake/marker bulbs was failing. With the lights off, using the brakes would cause all of the marker lights to come on, all of the dash lights to come on, the shifter backlight to come on, and some weird relay sounding noise to happen. With my marker lights on, all of the brake lights also came on.

Your issue does seem different but the noises and flashing shift indicator light reminded of my recent issues. I was worried about mine that it was an issue in the fuse box or towing wiring harness as that was hacked off before I bought the D2.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stxscott
I just read the header for these threads and it says "normal threads" - which this one is anything but....

My 2003 LRD2 runs sweet. I've done a ton of work on it over the recent years and no have codes or amigos. She's a beast with around 93k on the clock, but now I've got a weird clicking from beneath the dash. Sounds like a relay. This happens intermittently when driving with the odd click here or there, but really manifests itself as a problem when using the indicators.

When I turn on the indicator instead of the regular tick-tack-tick-tack-tick-tack, I get more of a jazz percussion jam with more of a tick-tack-tick-a-tack-tick-tack-tick-a-tick-tack. The tune can be quite fun yet is certainly indicative of a problem. At first seemed to be more prominent on one side but seems to have progressed to either indicator. Alright, smart money says the relays are bad, so I pony up for two more. Removed both, put one new one in and the problem didn't go away (left the other new one sealed in the bag). So now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what is causing the clicking. There are only two other relays on that side, one for the power windows, and one for the ignition coils. Both felt like they were clicking too. I removed the window one and still had a problem. Swapped the ignition coil and window relay's but still get the click.

Could be coincidental, but the door lock/unlock remote has been acting weird too. Now I need to push unlock twice to unlock the door.

I checked the fuses 13/14 in the engine bay and they are fine. I've tried reading the rave electrical diagram but I'm easily lost in all the pretty colored wires.

One other weird thing I just noticed is that when the indicator is in it's tick-a-tick lick, the shift indicator (P) light also flashes on the 'a' note. Too weird.

I'm relay (really) at a loss (pun intended) and not sure where to troubleshoot next. Any pointers would be helpful.

LRD2's probably just pissed that I've recently been considering an LR4 upgrade in the future

DID YOU FOUND A SOLUTION????
I have exact the same and it´s driving me NUTS... I have tried everything.
Even the Key Fob is acting weird as yours did. and the light in the shift... everything the same..

The following users liked this post:
stxscott (11-29-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Before diving deep into the electrical I'd check the heater/ac fan for debris. A leaf in the hamster wheel can make a lot of odd noises.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

It sounds like the interior temperature sensor (dash fan) for the automatic climate control (as seen in the slotted area of the picture below).
Take some compressed air in a can and spray the dust/debris out of it.... or...
Here's a great writeup on AULRO forum about taking the fan apart and thoroughly cleaning it... https://www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery...ml#post1461206

Old 11-23-2020, 03:06 PM
Mudding

Unfortunately not a temp sensor fan noise. It's definitely electrical-clicky-relay stuff, to use the technical vernacular.

New fuse box arrived but I haven't installed it yet. Didn't want to risk a non-start issue because I have our NISMO Frontier up on jacks doing a wheel bearing and the sway bar bushings and links. Wife won't go near the bike

Promise I'll have an update after thanksgiving....

Last edited by stxscott; 11-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Default Solved

The replacement fuse box has fixed the problem. Fairly simple swap out. Disconnected -ve battery first and then just a 10m nut and lots of electrical connectors to unplug. Took pics to make sure I didn't try and put the wrong connector in the wrong socket. It's a bit tight under there so removing the plugs can be tricky. After LRD2 was back together and fired up the problem is gone. Here are the two fuse boxes mid-procedure. Old one is on the left, replacement on the right...

I did some follow-up destructive investigation on the old unit but couldn't see any glaring problems or areas of concern. Here are some pics from inside the guts of the old one...

So now I've got lots of old relays and fuses if anyone needs any. It was a pleasure to take LRD2 for a victory trip to the beach this morning. No more problems with a flashing light on the shifter, no extra clicking when indicating. Even the lock/unlock functions are working perfectly now - well except for a non-functioning actuator on the pax side rear door, but that's a new issue to investigate

Old 11-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,134 Likes on 612 Posts

That's great news. These interior fuseboxes are quite the frequent failure mode... def added these fuseboxes to my salvage yard "to take from 99-04" discos (99-02, 03-04 difference) as I plan owning Discos till I die. That's about another 40 years? haha.

Quick Reply: Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird