Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical riddles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question electrical riddles

94 D1 three for you; first interior lights won't work in the door setting, I figure there is a break or loose connection of the ground, if anyone knows where the wire splits to go to the door switches the location will save me lots of hunting.

second and more interesting: the rear wiper will come on when i turn the ignition on with the rear door open, but with the door shut it won't even come on with the switch.

third and just funny: when i push the rear defrost button the doors lock and unlock.

give 'em your best shot

Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the wiper, sounds like you are pinching a wire with your rear door shut. check the harness that runs from the frame to the door.

Last edited by oljohnboy; 06-08-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

as for the door triggers they are all tied together in your truck, unlike the late 90's d1's and the d2's where the security module receives all separate signals, so I would check each individual trigger first to see if one is broken (may want to get some electrical tape, pull the actual door trigger out and disconnect each one individually to pinpoint where the problem is, just be sure to tape off any wires you disconnect real good as they use a ground signal to operate), I would also suggest that you pull the light itself out to make sure it has a good connection.

as for the back door you can get to the wires in the boot pretty easily from the rear light access panel.

lastly the only thing that I can possibly come up with for your rear defrost thing is this, on some occasions (this is very rare and generally only hooked up when requested by the customer) when an aftermarket installer hooks up the rear defrost button to a remote start system many of these systems use a light blue wire to attach to it, now the universal aftermarket wire color for lock is also blue! now if an aftermarket remote start was ever installed in the truck, and then either removed, repaired, or possibly replaced with either another unit or even a system without a remote start, then maybe these 2 blue wires got tied together? I would look under the dash (on both sides) for any evidence of an aftermarket system ever being installed and then start looking at this. As a tech this was the first thing to come to my mind, the second would go along with the pinched wire in the cargo door which could be a part of all of your problems combined as I believe all of these wires go through that one boot.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

may want to try a few things like using the defrost button with the back door open, try the defrost button with ignition off, try the rear wiper with the door open,try the dome light with the rear door open and the door switch pushed in. these may answer some questions easily

Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench

so i was driving today and the doors just locked, i looked and the defrost had came on, tapped it and they unlocked, did this a few times and it stopped. when it stoped rear wiper worked, i popped the door as i was driving and the interior lights flickered. but its not working now. so the only common factor is the rear door or is there something else like a relay or a common grounding point?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench

the thing with the lights is the power goes to the light, then it grounds the circuit through the door triggers, so if one breaks it will either gound it out causing the light to stay on or it will not work, in which case the other triggers will still complete the circuit if the other doors are opened. in my case the light is getting power, it will come on if switched, but will not come on with any doors, so i have to assume there is a break in the ground somewhere between the light and where it splits to all the doors. i have a schematic that shows how the circuit works but not how the wires are routed through the truck, if anyone can help me to know how they're routed i can do it without tearing the whole truck apart.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

not sure but many vehicles will shut the dome light off after a while if a door trigger is open, this way if a door trigger goes bad it wont drain your battery, not sure about your truck though. there is a grounding point on each rear post (somewhere under the rear speakers on each side), as for the layout of the door trigger wires, there is a consolidated wire in the drivers kick panel (I think its purple/white but I will have to check on that) so it should either split there or under the drivers seat. I have a 97 and the door trigger wires consolidate inside the security module under the passenger side dash.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Wrench

yea its purple and white, i looked around there is one coming down in the back right and i catches the rear door trigger then goes down, my break must be before that or the rear trigger would complete the circuit. i guess it will have to wait till i redo the head liner. while checking the grounding points i found a loose connector in the drivers floor board when i touched it the doors locked i connected it but no diff in the problems, also back door wires looked alright. I'll have to dig deeper another day.