Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical system wigging out after using code reader

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical system wigging out after using code reader

Anybody have any experience with the electrical system wigging out while using a code reader? I read codes, hit the clear button, and a bunch of clicks and noises happened - primarily sounded like it was coming from the passenger side right below the glove box. I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over and various strange noises came from around the clock, radio, etc. I tried to lock and unlock and it really struggled to raise the locks. The horn beeped a few times. After several attempts to start and several locks and unlocks, I think in stumbled into the three locks and unlocks to reset the system. After starting, I notice the temperature readout had switched to celsius. Any thoughts on what happened? Is it anything to be concerned about? I read the codes after driving for a few miles and didn't get anything different than the reading prior to the wig out.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a non-technical point of view it sounds like you ticked it off lol. I'm not sure what you did, i'm sure some of the other members would be able to give you a more 'technical' answer. If your read-out is in celsius, to change it to farenheit: With the vehicle running, press and hold the 'recirculate' button on the cilimate control, and while still holding, press and hold the On/Off button on the climate control. It should then display a 'C' or 'F', depending on if you want Celsius or Farenheit, and should make a 'beep'.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

almost sounds like your code reader shorted something out, were your radio presets or the clock reset? or was the mirror and the alarm the only thing? I don't know about the D2 but the power for the OBDII DLC comes from the security module under the passenger side dash (it actually sits next to I think the BCM) and if you were to sort it quickly it could have those averse effects on other components of that circuit (if you have the ultrasonic sensor on the mirror that could help explain that). I am not 100% sure these are just my thoughts, hope they help you.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like that code reader shorted out. Also check your battery cables.

Are there any other problems other than the temp settings changing?