Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency brake excessive heat and dinging at me

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake excessive heat and dinging at me

All I recently had my 2004 Discovery impounded ….Long story

After I picked up the car it was apparent that the tow lot had their way with my car. Here is what I know they drove it 2k miles in 11 days and they removed the battery and installed a dead one. And I have a broken tail light lens. I noticed that on the – negative terminal has a tab that looks like it was attached behind the jack storage was disconnected. I was able to jump-start the car and get it home with this tab unconnected. I noticed a burning smell in the car on the way back and when putting the car back in the garage pulled the E-brake and I actually got a blister from the push button and the smell was coming from melting plastic on the E-brake. Also every time I put my foot on the break there is some alert that dings. If the radio is on it shuts off dings at me than comes back on till I press the brakes again. The car has no CEL or lights on that I can see

Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You have a bad ground, chassis or engine ground.
You are grounding the whole electrical system thru the emergency brake cable.
You need to make sure all your grounds are good. It sounds like you already know were one is messed up.

Steve

Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2, Bad ground, possibly near the e-brake handle under the console. Spike posted some pics of what can happen in this situation. It can start a fire. Find that before you drive anymore. Sounds like if you can prove the damages you could take that impound lot to the cleaners. 2000 miles on it while it was impounded? What the hell! That is criminal.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input. I haven't touched it since getting it home. going to try the new battery and reground the terminal. I have to document everything wrong first

So here is the good.... a Circle K provided me video of the truck 900 miles away from the impound lot and its the staff I paid to get the truck back. Building up a super strong case for my law firm

Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good for you. Good luck with it. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2k miles?! That's awful! Not to mention....they probably put 87 octane in it. You should check with that Circle K. You might be able to get more $$$$ outta them if they potentially weakened your engine by putting in the wrong octane.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
6th Gear
Default reply for overheating E brake cable.

I had a similar problem with my 2002 discovery. Shorty after I bought it, the E-brake cable got red hot and actually burned right through it. The cause was the main ground had come disconnected. About your impound lot experience, I'd contact your state's attorney general's consumer affairs office. Good luck.............

Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I saw this movie, I think it was called Ferris Bueller's Day Off or something like that.

I would not do another thing with this truck until you have spoken to a lawyer.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
7th Gear

Hey guys quick question. I had the same issue happen with me driving home, and I thought she was going to burst into flames. Luckily I was close to home. I am a new rover owner, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as troubleshooting the grounding issue. More specifically, where the main ground is located. Thanks so much!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Find battery. Find large black cable from (-) negative post. Follow to frame. Remove, clean, re-attach very firmly. Also look in underhood fuse box, pix attached from RAVE electrical manual. Check large wires at front for tight, no melted damage.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 hood fuse box pix.pdf (401.2 KB, 165 views)

Quick Reply: Emergency brake excessive heat and dinging at me