Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY!! Dealer says my truck is toast!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the above advice and have kinkos slap together a copy if you truly need a "book" otherwise just print the pages you need out and move on with it. Also, I am not some awesome wrench, but have learned to maintain the vehicle through this forum and persistence, which anyone can do and i have done most of it in the Parking Structure of my downtown loft with normal tools that most should have (I have had strange looks from neighbors) but got the jobs done none the less.
Take your time and work through the steps in the manual and you'll be money and as i suggested previous keep a copy of the rave on your smart phone for in hand reference as it has helped me when in the woods and needed a quick look at what i thought was a major issue, but wasn't.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me crazy (and biased) but I think the best owner for one of these is a young, motivated, enthusiastic newby with time to learn and work on these things. My Rover has taught me much in very little time and I have much more confidence in my car now then when I would just take the jeep for an oil change every who-knows-when. Sure, I may be a bit paranoid due to the Rover quirks and horror stories, but I know these cars better than any before and there's much pride to be gained when successfully conquering a problem.

Bottom line - if they buy the car, find out the bad news about it, and still want to fix it: prime Rover owner.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Call me crazy (and biased) but I think the best owner for one of these is a young, motivated, enthusiastic newby with time to learn and work on these things.
I agree with that.

But a college student doesn't typically have the time. And to complicate matters, the typical college student I've seen on here has no other means of transportation and likely nowhere to work on the truck or keep tools.

Nothing is worse than working on your only vehicle out in a parking lot.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
6th Gear

In 2001 I bought a'00 Disc II,it came with a service contract so I always took it to the dealer for oil changes etc.One time I had it at the dealer for service and State I/M and they called me to tell me I needed brake pads,without giving a second thought I told them to go ahead and replace them(Ithought they would be covered under the service contract,I should've asked).When I go pick up the truck they hand me a bill for $485.00!!! I nearly s#!t myself!! Needless to say,when the serv. contract ran out,they never saw that truck again.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate when people keep saying that the Land Rover is not reliable, yes there are some lemons but for the majority of our trucks they are just fine. The key thing is maintenance, and that is what you are going to learn by wokring on it yourself. I can htink of many other things you can do in college that will gain you zero knowledge whereas the Rover will teach basic car repair that he can use for all his life. Yes they have quirks and I love the brand and that is part of what I love abou it. Yet I jump in mine and will drive accross three states without any thought of it breaking down.

You came to the right place for your questions, the guys on here generally very helpful and you will be back on the road in no time. And as far as costs, as long as you do not go to a dealer then the Rover is just as cheap to repair as a KIA and is much more fun to drive. And trust me, a KIA or any other vehicle is going to need the same repairs of the same age.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Drifting

can help you on the head issues , cos ive had both mine replaced < in OZ > if you cant see any leaks on the ground look on top of the front diff and check if you can see white fluid marks and then follow it up to the bottom of the head .coolant will go white after time being on a hot surface . if you cant see this then if you are loosing coolant its going inside , so dont drive it

Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Drifting

all car models have lemons , and this is down to the retard who had it before you . dont know what the states are like but if this problem was in oz and all these problems have come up from the dealer in such a short period , they would have to be held liable by selling you a car that was not 100 percent road worthy , including leaks etc

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell it and buy a disco turbo diesel any series he he he

OZ

Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I sure your advise would have been handy 6-months ago, you might want to check dates posts

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon

Bottom line - if they buy the car, find out the bad news about it, still want to fix it and have a metal deficiency: prime Rover owner.
There FIFY . This metal deficiency is heredity, my dad gave it to me.