Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY!! Dealer says my truck is toast!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011 | 04:38 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by nevada ben
If you took it to the dealer to change the brake pads, this isn't the right car for you. Don't pay anything to have it repaired. Sell it as-is and you will get the most money for it. Then go buy something that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. With a Land Rover, you will be hopeless. These are project vehicles and if you can't change your own brake pads, then you're no where near ready for a project.

Even if you're willing to step up, don't bother with your street vehicle. It will be an ongoing nightmare. Get a reliable street vehicle that matches your budget. If you actually do want a project, get one that matches your budget and that you do not have to depend on for daily transportation.

I'm telling you, don't do it. I've been there and done that. It doesn't make you less manly to drive a damn Kia and when you don't have to fix it just to get to work, you can make rational decisions about your personal finances AND your wrenching avocation. Rational decisions about personal finances doesn't include living paycheck-to-waterpump. That's insane. And if you want to take up wrenching as an avocation, why not work on something that presents meaningful challenges instead of fixing one problem after another that all resulted from someone else's stupid negligence?
This is horrible advice that belongs nowhere on this forum. We're here to help people fix their problems or point them in the right direction. You're opinion on this subject is the exact reason so many people never learn to fix their cars in the first place. Laziness. Yeah sure, sell your LR and buy a POS ricer. Problem solved... Wrong. If it weren't for this forum, I'd still be sending my truck in for oil changes. I've learned just about everything here and responses like yours would have gotten me nowhere.

Telling someone to give up and sell their LR= USELESS.

Old 06-21-2011 | 05:21 PM
Mudding

That's not fair because it doesn't consider factors like whether he has something more important to do. The fact is, it's the stupid way to learn. I know. I did it. In the end, what do you get? Wasted money, wasted time and arcane knowledge. The opportunity cost here is the unknown. I can't pretend to know whether he has anything better to do, but I imagine he does. What's more important, getting to a paying job on time or learning something about an obsolete nearly worthless vehicle? Whatever transferable knowledge could be gleaned from a Discovery can be better learned on a vehicle that neither interferes with someone's personal finances or their life schedule. Like I wrote, on a vehicle like this, a person is just going after the previously negligent owner's sorry mistakes. If you really want to learn something, it's stupid to pay to fix other people's errors. If you don't actually have the money for parts and tools, it's not wise at all to put yourself in a jam. If you do have a little money for a hobby, why not get a less expensive kart, four-wheeler, flat track or dirt bike and learn to wrench to win races or something productive instead of wasting time polishing someone's discarded junk that in the end will accomplish nothing.

It is useful knowledge for this forum. There are people for whom these vehicles are not appropriate. For them they are simply an unwise choice. They can learn from those with experience to make better decisions.

Old 06-21-2011 | 05:56 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
This is horrible advice that belongs nowhere on this forum. We're here to help people fix their problems or point them in the right direction. You're opinion on this subject is the exact reason so many people never learn to fix their cars in the first place. Laziness. Yeah sure, sell your LR and buy a POS ricer. Problem solved... Wrong. If it weren't for this forum, I'd still be sending my truck in for oil changes. I've learned just about everything here and responses like yours would have gotten me nowhere.

Telling someone to give up and sell their LR= USELESS.
Yeah... I wish someone would have talked me out of rebuilding the engine on my D2. I wouldn't have wasted all those weekend turning wrenches. I could have bought a nice little Neon. But, no, I searched, ask questions, and next thing you know, I have a terrific running Rover. Should I sell now while I'm ahead? After all, it's gonna break.... it's inevitable.
And what's wrong with those water pumps? AB doesn't sell junk.

Eric

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:15 PM
Winching

Don't get discouraged. When I was 19 I think I was on my 65 Dodge RT. It overheated, lost brakes on the way to the ocean, dual point distributor would go out at all the wrong times, but that car turned heads and I loved it. It was one in a long line of cars I had to have. I remember swapping in a 4 speed tranny in the middle of a parking lot one time when mine blew.
This truck is no worse that any of the cars I had as a kid. In fact, my truck is down right bulletproof in comparison.

Get your hands dirty and drive the wheels of it!

Old 06-21-2011 | 06:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by nevada ben
That's not fair because it doesn't consider factors like whether he has something more important to do. The fact is, it's the stupid way to learn. I know. I did it. In the end, what do you get? Wasted money, wasted time and arcane knowledge. The opportunity cost here is the unknown. I can't pretend to know whether he has anything better to do, but I imagine he does. What's more important, getting to a paying job on time or learning something about an obsolete nearly worthless vehicle? Whatever transferable knowledge could be gleaned from a Discovery can be better learned on a vehicle that neither interferes with someone's personal finances or their life schedule. Like I wrote, on a vehicle like this, a person is just going after the previously negligent owner's sorry mistakes. If you really want to learn something, it's stupid to pay to fix other people's errors. If you don't actually have the money for parts and tools, it's not wise at all to put yourself in a jam. If you do have a little money for a hobby, why not get a less expensive kart, four-wheeler, flat track or dirt bike and learn to wrench to win races or something productive instead of wasting time polishing someone's discarded junk that in the end will accomplish nothing.

It is useful knowledge for this forum. There are people for whom these vehicles are not appropriate. For them they are simply an unwise choice. They can learn from those with experience to make better decisions.
This is not a place for you to personally tell people that a car is not appropriate for them. End of story.

Old 06-21-2011 | 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling

If you have leaks as the dealer says, first perform a leak down test from the coolant reservoir. You should be able to pull the system down to 24-26psi. Let it sit and see if the pressure drops, if it does then there is definitely a leak, while under pressure search for the source and repair, several places, check hoses, clamps, water pump etc. It is necessary to remove the coolant from the reservoir prior to vacuum. Good luck and NEVER take it to a dealer.

Old 06-22-2011 | 12:44 PM
Drifting
Default Dealer=Stealer

Echo all the dealership avoidance sentiment here. Dealer in north Jersey twice quoted me $2100 for an intake valley gasket on a 04 Disco with 55k miles they claimed "was starting to seep"..

My understanding from previous posts on this forum is that the job would be 4.5 hours labor per the LR books. Doing the math at say $150 an hour plus the gasket shows what were they trying to take me for. Mind you I WAS a model customer.

Old 06-22-2011 | 07:08 PM
Mudding

if the water pump isnt leaking out of the weap hole located on the water pump, on the lower side, the pump is fine, dont wast your money.check all your hoses for leaks when the truck is up to temp.The best thing to do first clean your engine w a good degreaser than look around at the houses around the water pump, radiator, and heads ,etc. I would do a flush and replace the fluid and add some water wetter.if you cant see it go to the store and buy some die and shine a black lite then you will see whear the leak is, any none land rover repair shop can do this for around $100.00. Dude dont give up, once you learn how to work on this you will be able to work on just about any thing! P.S $130.00 is well worth the money for the book.

Old 06-22-2011 | 10:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ajmille
P.S $130.00 is well worth the money for the book.
ajmille, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I don't understand why you think spending $134.95 (plus shipping I'm sure) for a book that you can get for FREE is worth it? It is the exact same book. Hell, I could take a copy of the RAVE pdf to kinkos and have them bind it for maybe $25-30 bucks tops...

If you need a hard copy of any pages while working in the shop/garage, just print out the pages you need for the job at hand and slip them into plastic sleeves...and at the same time save a tree.

$135 bucks can go towards parts and/or services needed that he normally cannot get for FREE like the shop manual (RAVE). Just my 2 cents, but I digress.

Old 06-23-2011 | 06:21 AM
Baja

The hard copy of the manual is useless it is written in type so small you cannot read it without a magnifying glass; honestly the type size is something like 4.
It should have been done in three volumes like a lot of other manufactures do drivetrain, body and electric. Instead they just shrunk the type small enough so they could get it all crammed into one book.
You would be much better off buying a binder a few reams of paper and a new printer cartage.
I like hard copies because I can read them in the can, but it makes it difficult if you have to have magnifying glasses to read.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY!! Dealer says my truck is toast!