Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EMERGENCY please help!

hello, I just got stuck in the middle of a road due to a transmission problem. when i saterted my trip, i was cruising with about 70mph (truck is kind of loaded, passanger/dog and some camping gear but nothing extreme) after so many steep hills, transmission hot light turned on on the right side of the dash...little gear with temp in it...i stopped and waited for about 15 mins...then it turned off, i started to drive it again...after about 100 miles, it felt like someone pushed the breaks for a milisecond and release it and there was a high pitch grinding kind of noise, i put it into neutural and park it to the side of the road, i waited there for 10 mins til it cools down and i tried to drive it again but it makes that grinding sound after 30mph again so now i just pulled it to the side of the road and waiting for help. what should i do? i took a look under the vehicle and it seems like there is a trans oil leak but it is rainy so i am not sure.
any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hokkabaz
hello, I just got stuck in the middle of a road due to a transmission problem. when i saterted my trip, i was cruising with about 70mph (truck is kind of loaded, passanger/dog and some camping gear but nothing extreme) after so many steep hills, transmission hot light turned on on the right side of the dash...little gear with temp in it...i stopped and waited for about 15 mins...then it turned off, i started to drive it again...after about 100 miles, it felt like someone pushed the breaks for a milisecond and release it and there was a high pitch grinding kind of noise, i put it into neutural and park it to the side of the road, i waited there for 10 mins til it cools down and i tried to drive it again but it makes that grinding sound after 30mph again so now i just pulled it to the side of the road and waiting for help. what should i do? i took a look under the vehicle and it seems like there is a trans oil leak but it is rainy so i am not sure.
any help would be appreciated.
Transmission fluid is red, if that helps. It's night and raining, so I realize you'll have a hard time determining if that's what it is. It also smokes like hell when it hits a hot surface like an exhaust pipe.

I would strongly recommend you park the vehicle, as operating the transmission low on fluid can do permanent damage. Unfortunately in their infinite wisdom, the folks at LR elected to omit a dipstick for the D2 transmission. The only way to add more fluid is from under the vehicle with the aid of a transfer pump. You'll need tools.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LR transmissions are expensive. Do not drive it. Wait for help.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Mudding

I left it there and my friend picked me up, tomorrow i will go back to try to fill up the transmission fluid with some sort of pump or something, I couldnt even see anything with the help of my ohones flashlight and thanks to rain...I left it in a random parking lot with a note on it i hope they dont tow it. I am at Corpus Christi btw.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:49 AM
Mudding

thank you for all the help by the way

Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 AM
Mudding

i found a pump to pump up transmission fluid, only if i can find where the hell the hole is lol

Attached Thumbnails EMERGENCY please help!-1428217368511.jpg  
Old 04-05-2015, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

It's up there

Attached Thumbnails EMERGENCY please help!-image.jpg  
Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1

It's up there
It's on the back of the transmission pan. Just like the picture. You'll need an 8mm allen wrench or 8mm hex driver and ratchet. It's kind of a b!tch to get at. And don't be tempted to improvise with the wrong tool or you'll round off the corners and then you'll have to really get creative in order to refill it. It's a common enough problem that many recommend ensuring that you can loosen the fill plug BEFORE removing the drain plug. But you're kind of past that...

Do a search on the filling process as you'll need to have the engine running and cycle the transmission slowly through each of the gears as you top it off to get all the nooks and crannies of the transmission to fill properly. Don't burn yourself on the catalytic converters!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Mudding

thank you! I found 8mm allen wrench at my friends house but the tools he has are pretty limited. what is the torque on that bold? am I gonna need a hallow pipe or something to use as an extension of the wrench to apply more power? he lives half an hour away from where the car got stuck so i am trying to put all the tools i need together.
8mm allen wrench
little liquid pump
bottle with a goose neck
are all I have so far, wish me a good luck I am almost on my way.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Are you sure the warning light is for the transmission and not the transfer case? Did you check the manual?

My first guess is T case. I would go prepared for that as well.

You will need gear oil and a 1/2" socket drive(square shaped driver a socket would fit on).

There is a fill plug on the side and drain on the bottom of the T case.

In both cases, trans and t case, you should be prepared to empty completely and refill as you heard grinding noises. Could be shrapnel in the system.

Good luck

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY please help!