Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Vehicle Roadside Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Emergency Vehicle Roadside Repair Kit

Okay guys... here's a question for you to ponder.

Let's "just say" you have an emergency "bug out" enclosed trailer snuggled up in your garage for a 'rainy day' with, among other preparedness supplies, four 55-gallon drums of stabilized 94-octane gasoline. This trailer is nothing more than a security measure in case you need to make a sudden cross-country trip with all your prized possessions strapped on top of your rig.

Now, let's "just say" that you were thinking about getting a Disco (I or II, you're not sure yet), and you wanted to have some parts and tools stored in a kit inside this trailer to repair some common demobilizing Disco problems.

What parts and tools, my friends, would be included in that kit?

Thanks!

Pat

Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Emergency Vehicle Roadside Repair Kit

AAA

Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Ok, seriously. A DI is more roadside repairable than a DII. You can find wheels bearings anywhere for example. A DII you have to replace the whole hub.
1 gal motor oil. 2 quarts tranny fluid.Metric wrench set in a roll bag, SAE wrench set in a roll bag. 2 rolls duct tape. Two screw drivers. Phillips and Flathead. Dont bother with antifreeze. You can use riverwater to refill the radiator. 10,000LBS recovery strap and a come-a-long or a High Lift jack. You can get either of those at TSC.
A spark plug socket and 6" extenstion, you dont need a rachet, yoiu can turn the extenstion with a wrench.
Discoveries are designed to get you home no matter what.
DII's have more electric that can go wrong andthe BOSCH engine managment is more complicated than the GEMS engine manegment in a DI. Both are reliable but the GEMS is only two steps away from a carburator. I like simple. I LOVE my DI. Simple and reliable. Just like me.
So, my vehicle of choose for such a trip would be a DI, I can slavage parts from other cars, including non LR's. However Range Rover Classics and Defenders share parts with DI's. P38 Range Rovers and DII's share parts.
I think I went off subject. Did I help?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you be fleeing, say... an insane economic rescue plan designed to enrich the dudes who screwed every thing up? If so, I'll share with you my kit:

Hi-Lift Jack - HL winch kit, HL tire lift
chain, 10,000 tow strap
Oil, gear oil, trans fluid, water, atf
34mm socket for trail fixing CV joints
28mm socket for lugs
jb weld, duct tape
siphon
rave cd
tools, everything i have
I'm slowly building spare parts...

What country would you be bailing out to? If it's say... mexico, I'd skip on the disco and get the most popular car going down there. Some 80s model ford or chevy. My DII is my personal choice of offroad vehicle for baja, but I expect to wait a day or two for parts to be shipped to me if/when I break down down there, because there just aren't any of them there. I almost killed me and my girl waving at the one I saw in 10 days on my last trip.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see that it matters if its a D1 or D2, you should carry vehicle specific spares anyway. If and when I go out into "yonder" I will carry a hub assy etc, then a roadside fix is feasable etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I carry in my Tuffy box. I don't carry any real big replacements like drive shafts, hubs, but a few essentials.

*In the front are two wrench rolls with metric and SAE.
*The left side is a tool roll with hammer, screwdrivers (phillips and regular/short and long), allen wrenches, scissors, pliers, crescent wrench, wire cutters, wire brush
*Left Tupperware box with assorted electrical doodads, tape, some extra wire, heat shrink tubing, wire conduit, box of fuses with puller, soldering iron and solder (no inverter though), pencils, batteries
*Center Tupperware has duct tape, plumbers tape, blue masking tape, steel wire, steel/aluminum pop rivets, tape measure, saftey glasses, dust mask, JB Weld
*Right Tupperware has spare like my old rotoflex, serp belt, pop rivet tool, brake switch, assorted nuts and bolts in a ZipLok bag
*Air pressure gauge
*Hand saw
*20,000 lbs. recovery strap
*Marine fan (to dry carpets or my wetsuit)
*Work Gloves
*Rubber mallot (good to bend sliders if they get bent)
*Flat black spray paint
*RTE slider step
*Jumper cables
*Tire puncture repair kit
*Folding shovel
*Mechanics gloves
*Big 'ole Mag-Lite flashlight (3D cell version)
*24" breaker bar, 1 1/16" socket and extension for removing the wheel lugs

In the center console I also have a 2AA Mag-Lite, bandaids, sunscreen, Neosporin, lip balm.

I carry a full size med kit behind the driver's seat.

There's also a large plastic tub that holds all the extra fluids on top of the Tuffy shelf.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7793/97D36A6F2E3545338FA297CA234C3762.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Disco2Fever

Okay guys... here's a question for you to ponder.

Let's "just say" you have an emergency "bug out" enclosed trailer snuggled up in your garage for a 'rainy day' with, among other preparedness supplies, four 55-gallon drums of stabilized 94-octane gasoline. This trailer is nothing more than a security measure in case you need to make a sudden cross-country trip with all your prized possessions strapped on top of your rig.

Now, let's "just say" that you were thinking about getting a Disco (I or II, you're not sure yet), and you wanted to have some parts and tools stored in a kit inside this trailer to repair some common demobilizing Disco problems.

What parts and tools, my friends, would be included in that kit?

Thanks!

Pat

Fuel pump / Alt / spark plugs / water pump the small bottle of additive for the water (don't remember name)for Rad/ fuel pump relay / brake switch / fuel filter / extra fluids oil both gear & motor.

I think that after looking at your wants that you are looking to setup like a Overlander Traveler.
See if you can find LRM magz (Land Rover Monthly) its from the UK and has more people that
travel in Africa and share their setup.

On Disco I or Disco II both are good trucks but in a survival plan the Disco I has my vote.
Its the little things ,,,you can check the trans from the top,, spark plug wires are easy,,
BMW did the redesing of the Disco I and made the Disco II a good truck but BMW never does anything
simple,,,I went to drive a M5 and had to have a lesson to drive the no clutch manual good car Not simple.

I will try to post more tonight.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM
TReK

Disco2Guy

I see you have a TUFF Box also,, did you bolt yours down?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Winching

Thank you guys for sharing your kits- there's some GREAT info here. You all should collaborate on an "all you need to know" ebook about Discos and market the hell out of the sucker.

Man... You've all got me thinking again about looking at D1s... this whole time I've been looking for 99 or newer... maybe I need to take a second glance!

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Pat-Shuler's Books has Land Rover Mags. Like Land Rover Monthly and Land Rover Owners.
Everybody on here know that I am a BIG fan of the DI. I also like the DII but LOVE the DI.
BMW tried to make themmore of a luxury vehicle that can go off road while when under LR's control they were a off road vehiclewith luxury added.
Both are very good trucks, just that the DI is more basic in terms of mechanical and eletrical areas.

Quick Reply: Emergency Vehicle Roadside Repair Kit