Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engaging the Diff Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engaging the Diff Lock

Hello,

So with all the snow thought I'd give the diff lock a try. The manual says you can do it at any speed, so I drop the trans into N (94 disco auto trans) and heard an awful gear grinding sound. How exactly am I supposed to do it. Stopped, in N, with P brake on?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Engaging the Diff Lock

I had my reply all typed out and then my computer froze...but if you are moving make sure that you are going in a straight line, take your foot off the gas and move the diff lock lever to the left.
If you are going into low then stop first.
I think that if you are moving and you put it into neutral then the gears wont mesh and you will grind them.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day,

I just watched the DVD that came with my owners manual with my 04 Discovery and it talked about using the dif lock. The owners manual also talks about it.

If you are traveling at a speed lower than 100km per hour then you may engage the dif lock at any time while driving by pulling the selector **** to the left.

After reading your post, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it almost sounds as if you tried to move from high range to low range while driving. To the best of my knowledge and my own driving experince you should never move your transfer case into low gear while moving. It's just to hard on the parts.

My previous vehicle was Jeep Liberty and any time I had to swtich into low range I always did the following

[ol][*]Stop and put the vehicle into park[*]Apply the emergency brake (hand brake)[*]Move the trans into neutral[*]Move the gear box into low[*]Start driving[*]Never travel over 30km per hour[/ol]

If I"m out to lunch on this please say so but when it comes to your dif lock you should be able to pull the lever to the left or the right at any speed under 100km per hour.

When in doubht read the owners manual

Thank you

Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do your self a HUGE favor and don't ever try to engage a CDL unless you are under 10 MPH, with the tranny in neutral and foot off the gas, and that is only from Hi gh to High lock, not into low.
As for that 94, I would suggest you drain your t/case fluid, looking for chunks of metal caused by your bad experiment, you may have taken out a couple of gear teeth.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I come to a complete stop for any transfer case changes. I learned the hard way as a kid with my CJ5 that even though they say it's "ok" at certain speeds, I still feel much better stopping completely. No the CJ could not be changed while moving over 5mph, but I tried at 20+mph once. Bad idea, but I was 15.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM

There's a CD that's supposed to come with the '04 owners manual...huh, I'll have another look for mine then??

Land Rover is not Shift-on-the-fly 4x4

Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
you may have taken out a couple of gear teeth.
I'll bet you a lunch that you are correct Mike.
dk

Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: RamblingMan

Hello,

So with all the snow thought I'd give the diff lock a try. The manual says you can do it at any speed, so I drop the trans into N (94 disco auto trans) and heard an awful gear grinding sound. How exactly am I supposed to do it. Stopped, in N, with P brake on?
You realize now that you were shifting to low and not into lock, right? Left and right is lock and unlock. Forward and back is low and high, which should only be done stopped and in neutral. You may have to roll slightly for it to engage.

Sounds like you just did a number on your t-case.

DO NOT SHIFT ON THE FLY!!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a DVD with my owners manual. It was a great little movie to watch. They had some nice shots of people enjoying their Discovery.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Three Wheeling

I was going from Low unlocked to low locked. To do this I had to move from Low to N, then left into locked, then down into low again to again low locked. The "H" configuration doesn't allow me to go from low unlocked to lock without going out of Low first.

Quick Reply: Engaging the Diff Lock