Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine flush

hey, I'm new to the Disco scene and I was going over the 60K mile service items and it said to flush my engine before changing the oil. I know this is a stupid question to most of you but what exactly am I going to be doing, I have never done and never thought I could flush my engine. please help. I'm new to Disco's but not to cars so I know my way around, I've just never done it and want to do it right.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Just drain your engine oil, leave the old filter on, add 6 quarts of atf to the crank case, let the engine run for 30 minutes with the hood down and the a/c off. Then do a normal oil change.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco-Nate
hey, I'm new to the Disco scene and I was going over the 60K mile service items and it said to flush my engine before changing the oil. I know this is a stupid question to most of you but what exactly am I going to be doing, I have never done and never thought I could flush my engine. please help. I'm new to Disco's but not to cars so I know my way around, I've just never done it and want to do it right.
Flush your engine with auto-rx.com. Nothing but Engine Oil should be put into the engine. Unless you want severe engine wear.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Is that why every dealer and most of the shops across the U.S offers engine flushes and have for the past 20 years??
So what would you say is the difference between using ATF and Auto-Rx especially since neither are engine oils and they both clean out the build up?

Last edited by Disco Mike; 09-13-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks mike, so I had read in another post that the oil filter you recommend is 40% larger than stock, am I understanding that right?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

We've been recommending the ATF flush for years and years to pretty much everybody that drops on this forum and I don't think I've ever heard of any negative effects from it. Not knockin' the other products but I'm pretty sure the ATF flush does work.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://action.publicbroadcasting.net...ist/94810.page

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/a...hing_necessary

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#How Sludge is Prevented

http://bobistheoilguy.com/

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE PUT ATF IN YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!
Call your LR dealer and talk to them, they will tell you the exact same thing.

If you fill your engine with ATF you are just asking for trouble.
We had at least one guy have to rebuild his engine after doing a ATF engine flush, it fried his rod bearings.
Diesel motor oil and full synthetic motor oil both contain very high levels of detergents that will clean your engine as you drive, they will clean it slowly and safely.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to an actual oil forum like bobistheoilguy.com and search around or even ask, but if you ask expect people to jump down your throat. I'm not sure why ATF has been used as a flush as it has very low detergent concentration. Probably won't do any harm as long as you don't put any strain on the engine and don't run it for long. Don't expect ATF to dissolve sludge or varnish though.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Amsoil also makes an engine flush that is highly rated (kind of like Seafoam on steroids).
has anyone used the amsoil flush? when i read the directions, it says change the oil filter, add flush, run engine, and the drain old oil.

then it say change the oil filter again.

am i reading it right? to do the flush, you need an extra oil filter?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 AM
4wd Low

i find that rotella t 15w 40 works great for keeping the old girl clean.

Quick Reply: Engine flush