Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine just died on the Highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Engine just died on the Highway

I'm leaving this forum and have deleted all my work in this thread.

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-17-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have the money to buy a Hawkeye scanner just to read trouble codes then have it towed to the dealer to get fixed because obviously you have money.

It is your crank sensor that has failed, probably the number one problem with the DII.
There is a "how to" in the write up section, the part is about $65 at AutoZone.

If all you want to do it read and clear your own trouble codes you can buy a $30 scanner.
If you also want live data then buy a Ultra-Gauge, $80. I have one and I love it.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a drawing of the mounting for the cranks sensor, look at yours and make sure every spacer goes back on the same way. Make sure that new spacer on unit is same size as old spacer (one for auto, another for manual transmission). Many have been replaced, then no crank, because spacer was slightly off.

You M&S lights were probably triggered by loose cable making volts to transmission ECU below about 9 volts, too low to operate transmission.

Ultra Gauge combines great gauges and a data reading scanner for like $70, won't do much for 3 Amigos.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Well the Hawkeye scanner is like $700 right?
I personally dont think it is worth the cost but that is me.
But you do have a good a good point about the ABS Amigo, only $500 more dollars and you could have the Hawkeye.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hawkeye are about $650 at AB, if you look they can be had for less ($500).
Along with engine and abs codes it also takes care SLS and ACE issues.

So if your truck has SLS & ACE and you get it for the correct price it may not be the worst money you spent.

You can come on here and people cant give there opinions/experence of what your SLS, ABS & ACE problems are or you can just read & test them.

Also i dont think anyone is going to come over to your house to pump your brakes when it is time to bleed them, after repairing your shuttle valve but hawkeye will.

I wont even go on about how it can activate every devise in your truck, fan, wiper, window, sunroofs, doorlock motors,TPS, ABS pump all front the seat of your truck.

There is also a section where you can get into programing stuff, but i keep away from that, nothing good can come from me programing anything.

If you have a DI or a lower end model it may not be needed, but if you truck is decked out and you plan on keeping it you might consider it.

Last edited by drowssap; 01-20-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, never disconnect the battery to clear the codes. Why would you want to, even if you did clear them you would not fix anything nor know what is wrong with the engine.
Get the codes read and get back to us with the fault numbers, not what you think they mean and maybe we can help you.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Towing coverage on my truck is $12 per year and it covers the first $100.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: just finished installing the new crank sensor and the Rover fired right back to life

Best sound in the garage ! Good job. I think I recall some saying it was esier to plug in new sensor before mounting.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine fix

This may not be the best place for this...but, it's the 1st place I got to...
I don't know a BOSCH from GEMS engine...but then I don't know what 90% of the SLS, ACE, etc are either ..so, excuse my ignorance...
Here's a interesting post I ran across Googling around looking for WINDSHIELD COLUMN MOUNT GAUGES( if anyone has a link/lead, it would be much appreiciated, though this link has a mount that sits on the dash)
As follows, oh, it's a swap from a GEMS 4.0 to a BOSCH 4.6:

Frankenrover - Swapping a Bosch D2 4.6 engine into a GEMS D1 Land Rover Discovery

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing about the swap, while I am a big fan of dual exhuast, this one is NOT good. Particularly if you live in any of the So. Western desert areas where the road temps get to the 140+degrees. The passenger side exhuast is way too close to the tire!
Personally, I don't want HOT exhaust anywhere near my tires. When combined road heat, highway speeds, "big" rubber and then add hot exhaust spells BLOWN-Up tires. At the very least you get accelerated tire wear.
Dump the duals out the back...

Quick Reply: Engine just died on the Highway