Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock

Hi All,

Been using the forum for years, but recently became a member. Bout time I guess!

I have an engine knock on my 03 Disco II, it starts ticking once it's warm and progressively gets worse and is more of a knock. It appears to go away when I rev up past 2K RPMs so considered that it may be a bad oil pump gear or seized lifter.

Now that I have pulled the top off the engine I'm confused. The rockers seem tight, the camshaft doesn't appear to have any significant wear on the nodes (seen without removing it) and the lifters all appear to have the same length of travel while in place.

Does anyone have thoughts on what my issue could be?

Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Oil Pressure test would have been good.
Wasn't a tick like a liner moving?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM
4th Gear

No, didn't appear to be a liner knock. Was worried about that, but sound usually went away when I rev'd it up past 2000 rpms, so kind of eliminated a liner issue. Yes, you are correct, I should have done a pressure test. Kicking myself a little right now. I've already bought a camshaft and lifters just in case. I think I'll replace the oil pump gears as well. I can always return the camshaft if not needed. Wonder if I need to replace the push rods at the same time as the lifters..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Try diagnosing it! Warm it up, and when it starts knocking spray the block on both sides right above the oil pan with a garden hose. If it stops, its a sleeve. Still knocking? check oil pressure. Low oil pressure? Rod and main bearings and oil pump gears.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

Some info that may or may not help with a diagnosis:
I've never gotten a low oil pressure light on it and it has never used oil. I did start using full synthetic probably 5 years ago, at first to help with winter startups and then started using it full time.

RoverMasterTech, I've already started teardown with the lower manifold off (able to see the top of the camshaft as well as the lifters & pushrods). So unfortunately can't do the tests you indicated. Anything I can look for easily that may help?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Put it back together and put a 180 degree inline thermostat in it. That's ur best bet for fixing it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM
4th Gear

RoverMaster, just to clarify. Put it back together as is and try the inline thermostat as a solution or as a baseline and re-diagnose from there? Should I still replace the lifters and pump gears while I've got it apart?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I wouldn't throw parts at it. It's going to be a loose sleeve.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

If I had all those new parts and the engine disassembled to the point to install them, I would surely install them. They are not ridiculously expensive and they can only serve to improve the situation. Yes, use new push rods. Yes, use a 180 degree thermostat. Service the front cover by replacing the oil pump and seal. Do the timing chain and gears while you are in there, those parts are cheap. Change the water pump. Check your hoses carefully and change out suspect pieces.

With all due respect to those who have many more posts than I do around here, I think it is a bit silly to give absolute diagnosis about someone's engine noises without being there.

The following users liked this post:
thegoat1 (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my lifters and the tick is still there. Mine also goes away at 2k. It has been doing it for years now and I tow my boat 5 hours in 100+ temps with no problems. I would put send the parts back ( just my two cents). Mine is more of a tick that a knock. I will have to try the garden hose test.

Quick Reply: Engine knock