Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knocking (Sound Video Attached)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Knocking (Sound Video Attached)

Hello All,

My 03' has an engine Knock that starts only after the engine is at operating temp. It doesn't get louder at RPM but the sound pattern does follow RPM. It is loudest when heard from laying under the oil pan. Sound attached.

Land Rover 4.6 Engine Knock - YouTube

I run Rotella 10-40 and for the two years I've owned this one have changed the oil at 3000.

I thought I'd get some comments on what others thought the source of this could be. Without pulling the pan I would say Rod Bearing, Piston Skirt collapsed or Lifter. If I pull the pan I'd be hoping to be able to feel movement in a rod to identify a rod bearing. Not sure how I could identify a bad lifter or collapsed skirt without pulling the engine apart.

Your thoughts, insight and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by 0304Disco; 08-30-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the tick increase with RPM? If you had a helper rev the engine as you listened? Almost sounds like something more from the top of the engine, but hard to tell

Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Winching

The tempo increase but not the loudness.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sounds like upper engine. If its the lifters then there is no way to tell if they are bad or not. If you do lifters You can check for wear on the.... I would look more closely at the push rods and cam!! If you do lifters do A CAM AS WELL. There are many posts on here about people being cheap and not wanting to do a cam, well 6 months later and like 10,000 miles BAM tik tik tik again from the lifters.... What about rockershafts? I had to do mine when I did the lifters and cam. Heres a link to parts from ab. Rocker Shaft - Shaft Only | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Does it do this all the time? Mine only ticks when warm usually, sometimes when I first start it up but not normally. I think mine was a cam bearing but not sure as I haven't yet put it back together. Still doing head gaskets and so on! That's the only thing I found in there that was broken or even worn, really. Most of the engine looks great especially for the milage.
Oh and also, mine is NOT slipped liners!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dang, it is way too clean under there.... you didn't have to wipe up just because company was coming...

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Dang, it is way too clean under there.... you didn't have to wipe up just because company was coming...
lol right.i spend nearly 4000 bucks on a engine overhaul.still makes that sound if it has good oil pressure than dont worry its all normal.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Yeah I used super clean which I read the instructions after using of course and it says not to use on Aluminum, oops!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Cold water power wash is all you need to keep the engine clean.
So, it is time for you to quit guessing, is the noise coming from the top or bottom of the engine?
First thing I would suggest would be to do an oil pressure test, cold at idle and 2000 RPM's and hot at idle and 2000 RPM's, then back to us with the 4 sets of numbers.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds exactly like my 03 engine... Never ticks on start-up (unless the oil is slightly low), 40/60 chance when warm and rarely after an hour of driving.

There's an endless supply of 03 threads on several Land Rover sites about the "tick". I've read about guys dumping lots of money unsuccessfully tying to resolve the issue. I've also tried most of the "snake oil" remedies. Some do nothing and some temporarily mask the problem. At one point, I neutralized the tick for over 50,000 miles (but it came back).

After 140,000 wonderful ticking miles on my truck, I've come to a resolve- acceptance! When people ask about the noise simply I tell them, my engine is evolving into a gas diesel hybrid. That usually puts a blank expression on their face and excuses me from a half hour conversation about lifters, rods, valves or bearings being the certain culprit.

Welcome to the club... OIL PRESSURE

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 08-31-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking (Sound Video Attached)