Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine knocking worse after atf flush and seafoam induction cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine knocking worse after atf flush and seafoam induction cleaning

When I started the disco this morning there was zero noise coming from the engine, cold it's fine. However, after I had been driving down the road for about 20 minutes, stopped at a stop light, I was sitting there listening to the engine and it was knocking extremely bad (much worse than before I did an atf flush and induction cleaning). Now I do have to say I noticed two very important things that might make a difference to the diagnosis.

One: as soon as I reached 1000 rpms the knocking went away. If I were to be sitting still with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas it would disappear, if I would drive it would disappear. As long as the engine was revved over 1000 rpms, no noise.

Second: when i was doing the induction cleaning white smoke was coming out from around my passenger side exaust manifold.

Let me know if I'm on the right track with this logic but, I have a lose or cracked manifold that is knocking against the side of the engine some. Or the atf flush dislodged so much gunk from the engine that the oil pick up tube is clogged creating oil starvation.

Does that sound about right or am I making it out to be something that it's not.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: engine knocking worse after atf flush and seafoam induction cleaning

The white smoke coming from the exhaust manifold is because the manifold is cracked, all Rover manifolds are cracked. lol Just the way it is.
The exhaust manifold wont "knock" against the head because it is to thick/heavy to move on its own.
You are getting oil staravtion is my guess. At idle the oil pump cannot pump enough oil to satisfy the needs of the upper part of the engine.
It doesnt do this when cold because the oil is thick enough to fill the gaps in the upper engine and when it gets hot the oil thins out and thus doesnt do its job as well.
It is pumping oil, just not enough oil.
This is why I do not recommend engine flushes. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Drifting
Default RE: engine knocking worse after atf flush and seafoam induction cleaning

Well it was knocking before the engine flush. It just got worse. What would you suggest doing to fix the issue? Run a thicker viscosity oil, clean out the oil pan and pick up tube? What?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

I didnt realize it was knocking before the flush.
you can drain out the oil and leave the filter and put in a thicker oil until you can drop the oil pan and clean the oil puck up tube.
HD 30 will stop the noise. Then once you clean the pick up tube change the oil and filter and go back to what you were using.
HD 30 will not thin out. But its not so thick that it wont pump through the engine.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Since I just did the flush on sunday should I stay with what I have in it now until the 1000 miles or am I damaging my engine by allowing it to knock as such?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Well if everytime you sat downthe bloodstoppedgoing to your brain would you be damaged?
Yes you are doing damage to the engine. If you cannot drop the oil pan but you need to keep driving the truck then you need to drain out that oil and put in HD 30. Then as soon as you can either you doit or have it done but the oil pickup tube needs to be cleaned.
You can conferm this before doing anything by getting a oil pressure test. If you do that do it tommorrow.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Good point. How do I get an oil pressure test? Can I do that myself or do I need to take it somewhere? If I can do it myself, how do I do it?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Yes you can do it yourself. You will need a oil pressure tester. AutoZone loans them for a deposit. Pay your deposit with cash otherwise you will be waiting a week for the money to go back onto your credit card. Ask me how I know that one.
You need to test the oil PSI with the engine cold at idle and at 2,000 rpm.
Thgen test it with the engine hot at idle and at 2,000 rpm. Engine hot means that the thermostat is open and hot coolant is flowing through the radiator.
I do not know what the oil psi is supposed to be at idle or at 2,000 rpm. I will try and look it up for you but no promises. AutoZone may beable to look it up and tell you.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Drifting

thanks spike. while you're looking that up, where do i put the oil pressure tester?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

The oil PSI sending unit is right above the oil filter. It is ceramic and is a common place for leaks. $13 at AutoZone if you ever need to replace yours.

Quick Reply: engine knocking worse after atf flush and seafoam induction cleaning