Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Engine Light Blinking

I would buy a OBDII scanner if I were you. You can get one on-line and have it FedEx'ed to you. They are around $30 for a cheap one and then you can read your own trouble codes and see what is going on.
I think that your mechanic cannot fix the problem and is telling you a BS story to make you go away.
I grew up in your kind of town, had to learn to fix it yourself.
You may need to bite the bullit and take it ot a real mechanic to get the light fixed the correct way.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with thinking the light is 'just on' is that while you may be ok at first...what if youre oil pressure was dropping or severely low? The engine would try to throw a code and set a light, but since you ignore the light...you have no idea.

What if your airbag light or your ABS light came on and your mechanic said it's just an electrical issue? Would you just keep driving knowing that you probably had no ABS or SRS? I'd seriously consider taking it to a LR dealer/independent shop and getting a diagnostic done. After you get the plugs/wires checked or done. The dealers going to to be much worse on price than your local guy..

And to avoid undesired replies, you might try including all the info in the first post. While 1 in 109201938120 cars may have a genuine electrical issue causing the light to falsely illuminate, the chances are you've actually got a problem when your check engine light is on.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM
akc
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought some of you could have been nicer. I am not into my Land Rover SO much that I am on this site daily. I know very little about cars and I used this forum for some advice, not to be attacked. It is in the shop right now and getting lots of work done, including brakes, fuel pump, and a major tune up. All I can say is that I must have done something right to have a Discovery that has 164K on it, while driving up and down the East Coast for the last 8 years, without ever having to replace anything major other than the U-joint.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

One of your currently bigger mistakes is letting someone else work on your truck. You are paying dearly for this and still know nothing about your truck, what makes it tick and how to maintain it.
Start asking for specific help and let us teach you how to work on it and save some big money.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Doubtful SHE is going to work on it herself.
Buy the code reader so that you can read and clear your own trouble codes to see if your mechanic is BSing you are not.
It is just a truck, if you can find another mechanic close to your work who might beable to fix what your local guy cannot.
Do a search on this forum for the RAVE CD, download it and burn a cnopy to disc and give that copy to your local mechanic. It will help him to help you. Plus earn you some brownie points.
Small towns are great if you drive a Chevy or Ford.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
akc
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Spike, for clarifying that yes, I am a girl. I am a Mom, so working on my Land Rover isn't something I will be doing anytime soon. At any rate, I am sure you are all dying to know what the verdict is. I got it back a little while ago and this is what I neededtaken straight from invoice);
Lube, Oil, Filter (Changed oil and filter, lubricated chassis, checked PCV valve and Breather filter, checked all fluid levels, tire pressures
Performed throttle body and fuel injection service
Remove Mass air flow sensor and clean
Spark Plug wire set (remove and replace, including test wires, w/A.I.R. pump
Spark plug-remove and replace
Oxygen sensor, remove and replace, front, one side
Brake shoes/pads, remove or replace, front, both sides
Performed diagnostic test and found 25 codes stored. Bank 2 sensor 1, #6 injector open circuit, lean condition, multiple misfires, trans 3rd gear ratio
Fuel pump, remove and replace.

My check engine light is no longer blinking or even on, and it is running so much more smoothly....

WOW! You all were right about the deep pockets. Total:$2319. I probably got ripped off, but I live in the boondocks and had no other choice.

Anyone live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland? I would gladly pay one of you all that can do the work!

Cant wait to hear all the responses!! Ha Ha!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

OUCH!! I dont think that you got ripped off. And I am a mother too, er, I've been called...no wait...I'm a father who...anyway.
Glad that you have gotten your truck back and the light is off. Now a word of wisdom, the next time the light comes on and the mechanic tells you that it is no big deal get a second opinion.
If youhad done a tune up right in the very begining it would have cost you like $300.
You spent $2300, now add in the 5% lower MPG over the last two years and that light cost you ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
It sucks when you live in a small town and drive the "exotic" car.
I am glad that you have your truck back and that all is well.
Any more questions dont be afraid to ask, it might be tough for you, but please do come back if you have anymore questions.
And a great big THANK YOU for posting the repairs that were done at the cost.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sounds like you have someone that can do good work and has
the reader to read codes in the transmission and most shops don't.

The Price looks a little high but not out of line but over all
I'm going to say it was worth it .

Now that everything is done
Happy Rovering!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump and brakes in there also.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: akc

Thanks Spike, for clarifying that yes, I am a girl. I am a Mom, so working on my Land Rover isn't something I will be doing anytime soon. At any rate, I am sure you are all dying to know what the verdict is. I got it back a little while ago and this is what I neededtaken straight from invoice);
Lube, Oil, Filter (Changed oil and filter, lubricated chassis, checked PCV valve and Breather filter, checked all fluid levels, tire pressures
Performed throttle body and fuel injection service
Remove Mass air flow sensor and clean
Spark Plug wire set (remove and replace, including test wires, w/A.I.R. pump
Spark plug-remove and replace
Oxygen sensor, remove and replace, front, one side
Brake shoes/pads, remove or replace, front, both sides
Performed diagnostic test and found 25 codes stored. Bank 2 sensor 1, #6 injector open circuit, lean condition, multiple misfires, trans 3rd gear ratio
Fuel pump, remove and replace.

My check engine light is no longer blinking or even on, and it is running so much more smoothly....

WOW! You all were right about the deep pockets. Total:$2319. I probably got ripped off, but I live in the boondocks and had no other choice.

Anyone live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland? I would gladly pay one of you all that can do the work!

Cant wait to hear all the responses!! Ha Ha!
I hate to sound hard on you, but boy did they take advantage of you.
Please, in the future, if you have a problem, check it out with one of us first.
You paid in excess of twice what should have been charged.
Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Quick Reply: Engine Light Blinking