Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Misfire - Cleaning Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Misfire - Cleaning Injection

Newbie here, sorry I haven't even had time to introduce myself yet. IJUST got my 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE (87k) and I already have an engine code (P0300 (random misfire) , PO301 (#1 misfire)PO306 (#6 misfire), P13000 (manufacturer control ingnition system or misfire). This is my first Land Rover and I know little about them. I've read on here about cleaning the injection system with seafoam, can anybody tell me where it needs to be injected at the engine and how much. This seems like a great site and hope to learn a lot from it. From the way things aregoing it appears that I may be on here a lot.
Off to change some spark plugs....[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine Misfire - Cleaning Injection

The spark plug wires or the plugs will more likely be the problem.
Sometimes at night you can see the arc of the wire, like lighting.
Plug one and plug six.
When you put the wires back on use dielectric grease on the boots
so they don't stick and it will help with the arcing, keeping the
power to the plug.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ok thanks, that's good to know. I've already ordered the magnecor's per the thread below.....
This is all stuff I planned on doing when I bought the truck, I just didn't think I'd have problems right away.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Call around and find a shop that handles B&G producrs, buy one of their kits that contains a can of 44K, throttle body cleaner and induction cleaner. Install this after replacing your plugs and wires and you swear you have a new truck.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Call around and find a shop that handles B&G producrs, buy one of their kits that contains a can of 44K, throttle body cleaner and induction cleaner. Install this after replacing your plugs and wires and you swear you have a new truck.
Looks like the shop where I get my mercedes parts has it. I'll try it out. I have no idea what has been done to this truck in the past. It was a corporate vehicle so it must have had some maintenance performed onit.I also read about doingthe straight ATF engine flush on this board. I have never heard of doing this but it seems like it might work. I'm a little scared to do straight ATF though.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

As a really old retired service manager, I have to tell you we were doing this type of flush 20 plus years ago, it work great and if you decide to do that and the induction cleaning, give me a shout and I'll walk you thru the process.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

As a really old retired service manager, I have to tell you we were doing this type of flush 20 plus years ago, it work great and if you decide to do that and the induction cleaning, give me a shout and I'll walk you thru the process.
Well since this a 40 year old engine, it should work good. I will most likely give you a quick shout sometime. Much appreciated.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: jkid

Off to change some spark plugs....[sm=burnout.gif]
Well... I got my plugs changed (Bosch Platnum 2, WalMart's finest). The plugs were pretty black with carbon (only white at the very tip). Is this normal since it supposedly should run pretty rich. Plugs 6 and8 were almost all black.
I think maybe I found my bad plug. #6 plug wasVERY black inside the boot. I cleaned it up pretty good, unfortunaltly the engine still runs rough and the check engine light still flashes. Hopefully my new wires get here soon.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Installed the new magnacor wires today, the misfire is now gone. I couldn't find a shop that would sell the BG cleaner kit (they would only sell the 44K), so I used seafoam for the injection cleaning for now. You guys were not kidding about the smoke, holy cow. Next time I'll take your advice and do it at night. I'm just glad nobody in the neighborhoodwas home yet, the wall of smoke going down the street would have been something on a Saturday afternoon. I wonder it it would be beneficial to run another can through soon?
The throttle body was also filthy. I didn't feel like I was doing too much by cleaning it though since the whole inside of the housing past the throttle bodyremains filthy.
Also flushed the engine with ATF. I expected the fluid to be dirtier afterwords, but I'll take that as a good sign that it wasn't. I will say that looking down the oil fill onto the valve cover it took a good amount of the grud off the cover.
I think it definitly runs smoother now, though it's a little hard to tell because the belt pulleys are getting pretty loud.
Thanks a lot for the help Mike [sm=smiley20.gif], I think you've saved another Discovery from an early death. Now I've got to figure out what to fix next.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Throw a can of he 44K in your fuel tank, and clean the front part oof the t/body, the area around the throttle play is really important, don't worry about what is further down the intake.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfire - Cleaning Injection