Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine noise/dinging bell/cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise/dinging bell/cruise?

Hi all
here we go again..........

A few weeks back I was experiencing what sounded like an engine knock that turned out to be an exhaust leak. got some good advice here and had the muffler guy replace the 'Y pipe' gasket on the passenger side. The noise stopped. Great! I thought. But now that the exhast isI noticed a piston slap or rod knocking type sound not as loud as the other noise but just as scary!
It is quite noticable when cold and almost gone when hot. I can't tell if it's another exhaust leak or engine noise. I've tried listening with a hoseand can't pinpoint the cause. I'm thinking of dumping some STP in as a test to see if that quiets the thing down since the oil in it right now is 5w/30. Too thin?? I think I read here that a 98 disco should be running 10w/50 If I remember correctly. So what do you think? Is the STP idea reasonable for testing for a loseengine? And what is the correct oil for a 98 w/115k?

Also, my alarm bell goes off constantly when the driver door is open indicating the key is in the ignition even though it's not. I tried to diconnect the bell/alarm but it seems to be IN the fuse box. any suggestions?

And finally, my cruise only works sometimes. I've checked the hoses for leaks, checked the brake switch, checked the fuse,checked diaphram.what's next?
Aren't these rovers fun?
thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: engine noise/dinging bell/cruise?

I just wanted to catch you before you put some STP in your engine. If you are going to use anything thing use Lucas oil additive, it is far better then the STP.
What state do you live in, just trying to see what oil you should be using?
At your mileage, you might want to consider flushing your crank case before you do your next oil change, 6 quarts of ATF will really clean out the sludge and improve the oil flow, usually stopping alot of the noises.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine noise/dinging bell/cruise?

thanks Mike
I live in Oregon. I wasn't going to keep the STp in the engine except long enough to see if it quited down the noise so as to tell whether it is internal noise or another exaust leak. Do you think that will work if the noise is rods?