Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine overheating after parking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine overheating after parking?

I has quite the problem on my hands. I was driving my 2003 D2 and I had no problems with it, hadn't driven it in about an hour before that point, drove it only about 5 minutes, not very far or very fast. Parked it, walked away for about a minute to go to the ATM, came back and it looked as though steam was coming out from underneath the hood. Immediately opened up the hood, one large billow of steam came out and I saw a liquid coming from underneath the engine. I don't know exactly what it was, but my best guess was coolant, however after about an hour I refilled the coolant (happened to have some on hand, which was lucky I suppose) and I saw no leakage. I have no real idea where it came from. I had it towed (by flatbed) to my dealership and hopefully tomorrow they can take a look at it. Hopefully its just a clogged hose or something.

Any thoughts?

PS. No recent Offroading or anything that may have damaged the underside, and the temperature was just about 80F.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Huge mistake taking it to the dealer, they will charge you a fortune and usually their work is sub-par on D2's.
Don't you have a local Rover mechanic you can use.
Let us know what they estimate as a repair, but don't give them a go ahead till you get back to us with the bad news.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Could be the ATM balance of funds detection module - a Disco can "smell" cash

Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
that is one of th ebest I have heard in a looooooong loooong time... and soo freakin' true..
Oh sorry to hear about the issue and like Mike said.. the Stealership is gonna come down like a big *** hammer.. You really need to find a local indie guy.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much fluid came out? Like a river all of the sudden? If so, I would say hose for sure. That could explain the steam also. You might be able to fix that yourself.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
It saw its prey and went for it!

The hilarious part is that I took out 40 dollars from the ATM and all in all everything came out to 37 dollars, mostly just for the towing. Once I had it towed to the dealership, I filled out a sheet with all the stats of the car and what the problem was. They ended up taking it to their Land Rover service department and yesterday morning they took apart every hose and connection, they flushed the entire system, replaced the hoses and refilled the coolant. They said that some of the connections were loose, and that some of those hoses were very stiff and somewhat cracked.

I'm just thankful that my wife insisted I got the extended pre-owned warranty when I got the car.

And my normal guy is out of town for about 3 weeks.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Rock Crawling

A bit of a quick update: I have driven the D2 about 120 miles since this little incident, there is a tiny bit of a lingering smell of coolant, I think its from the spray from the other day, but I still look over the engine before and after [a bit of a cooling] driving. The temp gauge hasn't gone more than a bit over halfway, so I am pretty confident that everything is all taken care of.....

Now to replace that pesky driveshaft....

Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What did the dealer tell you? BTW; the temp gauge should not go above half-way. Do you have a scan gauge to see what the temp is?

Eric

Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and have them pressure test and check for a head gasket leak. Sounds like they are trying to limp you along until that warranty wears out because they do not want to replace the head gaskets....

Your right at 75k miles? That's a good range for a blown head gasket from what I have read on these forums.

Last edited by sloan74; 06-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you take your garden hose and rinse the engine off first thing in the morning before you drive all of the old coolant will be gone, then if you smell coolant once more take it back.

Quick Reply: Engine overheating after parking?