Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Pulsating while at shift points? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:06 AM
Team Owner
Default RE: Engine Pulsating while at shift points? Help!

Typically you cannot clean a MAF, but since you are getting a MAF fault you have nothing to lose.
A bad MAF will mess with the transmission so you might be right on track.
The good thing is that the MAF for a DII is pretty cheap.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:22 AM
jmt
|
Mudding

Can you get them locally? I really need this truck up and running for the weekend it's my daily driver.

The old Explorers used to have MAF problems like it was their job. You could clean the filament on them with O2 safe carb cleaner and they'd go another 3k miles. In fact, I did it every oil change.

Like you said, not much to lose at this point.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:36 AM
Team Owner

I do not know if you can get one at AutoZone or not. You could get one from the dealer but you will pay out the nose.
www.atlanticbritish.com will have one and if you order this moring you could overnight it and have it tommorrow.
You will just have to call AutoZone and the dealer and then check AB and she what you can afford and/or are willing to pay.
It might be more cost effective for you to buy online and use the cheapest shipper and then just rent a cheap car for the weekend. Or borrow a car from a friend.
But I would definetly try cleaning it first, they have MAF cleaner that you can buy.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:56 AM
jmt
|
Mudding

I'm not got going to the stealership to get one. It looks like AB again.

Hopefully I can get it clean and up and running to make it through the weekend. It's out there drying right now.

I guess time will tell.

Old 10-10-2008 | 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Before you buy a new one reinstall the old and see what happens. Maybe once it is clean it will run good for a while.
You live in Tenn? If you are in the north part FedEx standard shipping will have it to you Mon or Tues. South Tenn and Tues or Wed.
Our hub for your area is in Knoxville if I am not mistaken. And AB is in New England, only takes two days for me here in Grand Rapids. Order Mon. and have it by Wed.

Old 10-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
Administrator

Don't waste your time cleaning the MAF, they won't take it like the older ones would.
Replace the MAF, call Tony at 650-365-4145 for one of the better prices on line.
You need to fix your 3 amigos so you can get rid of the 1590 code which will retard you timing and kill your gas mileage.

Old 10-10-2008 | 11:02 AM
jmt
|
Mudding

The old one is still on and clean. It didn't do much by means of correcting the problem.

I just called the dealer about a new one. $350! So, I've got one on overnight. $160. Monday it is. [:'(]

Also, I live about 15mins from the FedEx hub (Memphis). The difference between overnight and 2-Day was like $5. Ah well.

Also, I do not have the "3 Amigos". My TC light will come on and stay on if the traction control engages an apparent attribute of a dirty hub. They've been cleaned and the traction control works. It's $110 to have your computer reset here, thus I haven't.

Old 10-10-2008 | 11:56 AM
Team Owner

If you have it on overnight you will have it tommorrow.

Old 10-10-2008 | 12:31 PM
jmt
|
Mudding

FedEx only delivers on Saturday if it's requested and payed for. It's not part of standard overnight delivery.

Old 10-10-2008 | 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Well I worked for FedEx Home Delivery for 2 years, left for a year and am going back to FedEx Home Delivery and I worked every Saturday.
If you paid for overnight and you dont get it tommorrow then you overpaid because with standard FedEx Home Delivery you would have had in by Tues, FedEx works every day except the major holidays so your pakage is always in transit.
But I could be wrong and you wont get it tommorrow with overnight.

Quick Reply: Engine Pulsating while at shift points? Help!