Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Really Need Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Really Need Replaced?

I need some opinions. A friend of my parents recently acquired a 2002 D2 SD. The previous owner had the truck towed to Anchorage (150 road miles) to the Rover dealer because it was overheating. The dealer's diagnosis was coolant leaking from #4 & #6 "sleaves" (that's how they spelled on the bill) and the engine needed replaced. They quoted $12000 for a new engine, which I realize is not unusual for a replacement engine installed. The previous owner couldn't afford that so the dealer offered to forgive the towing bill and the inspection charge if she signed the truck over to them. They also said that if she didn't sign it over she would be charged $20 a day storage fee until it was removed from their property. So my parents' friend drove to Anchorage, paid the bill and trailered the Disco home in exchange for the truck being sign over to him so he could sell it. The church where my parents attend was able to provide a car that had been donated to the Disco's previous owner since repairing this one was out of the question.

So yesterday I go over and inspect the Disco. I looked over the engine really well. Practically crawled in the engine bay to get the best possible view of the engine block and liners. I also ran my fingers over the block and cylinders wall and I couldn't detect where the liners had moved at all. My question is whether it is possible for the liners to leak coolant if they haven't physically moved? Knowing what I know about these engines and haven't seen an engine with a liner that had slipped my brain is saying no it can't but I wanted a second, third, fourth... opinion on the subject. I'm thinking all it needs is new head gaskets and the cooling system flushed out really well. The condition the engine is currently in makes me think the dealer was trying to steal this vehicle for the cost of the towing bill so they could repair it and sell it for an outrageous profit. The heads and mating surface on the block look like they have never seen a gasket or oil. Someone obviously went through a lot of work to clean up the parts if the whole engine is trashed.

I just realized I left out a few details. As I said it's a 2002 D2 SD and only has 71000 miles on it. The previous owner was a single mother with a young girl and barely was able to make ends meet. From what I have been told she was constantly having to get all kinds of help from the church and the state due to her medical conditions, not that you really needed that much info. But with that all being said I'm sure maintenance of the Disco fell through the cracks. My thought is the lack of maintenance, especially failing to flush the cooling system, led to head gasket failure.

My dad is thinking of buying the truck. The current owner is asking $2700 for it but since he is a friend I'm sure he'd give my dad a better deal than that. I wanted more opinions before I tell my dad to go ahead and buy it. I don't want a second non-running Rover sitting under the carport waiting for a new engine. Rovers are scarce around here and used parts aren't easy to find so getting a used engine if this one turns out to really be trashed is going to be difficult at best.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy it for $2000, pull the heads and have a look.
If the engine is bad part it out or source a used one.
If the engine is good replace the head gaskets and drive it for another 10 years.
With only 71k on it I doubt its a bad engine, it is possible, but I doubt it.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default it sounds like stealers..

i have never heard of a dealership telling a customer that.. WTF...sounds like blackmail... Anyway, for the liners, did they do a block test, pressure test. pull the heads and actually see where the leak is comming from? I find it very hard to believe that 3 different liners are leaking at the same time even though this is a problem block . Let us know how and what the stupid dealer did to come to this conclusion and what state the engine is in.. are the heads off now?

Thanks Chris

Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The entire top end of the engine is disassembled so I had access to all the cylinders and could feel as well as see that none of the liners had moved. Maybe if I get time today I will go try and get some pictures so y'all can get a better idea of what I'm seeing with this engine.

Spike - Dad isn't going to buy a vehicle to part it out. He wasn't happy about the Ugly Duckling being here, another non-runner just isn't going to happen. I can only convince him to buy it if I can be nearly positive that head gaskets will fix it. If it were my money I'd wait for a decent D1 in the same price range, but that's just my preference.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a block tester.....hook up your hose and see what happens...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You may not be able to tell much with a visual inspection. This article might help.

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...bout-land.html

Or this one (scroll down past the porche article)

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/

Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A block pressure test will tell you, the dealer most probably did that test to determine what is wrong.If it is true then the only remedy is either another good block or having the block resleeved. A visual inspection will not reveal much, not unless the sleeve has moved enough to be visible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Nrr...714&feature=iv

Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of the cylinders nice and clean? Those liners don't drop much. If any of them dropped they will be down by less than a thickness of a fingernail.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default follow this advice..

Originally Posted by Bundu
A block pressure test will tell you, the dealer most probably did that test to determine what is wrong.If it is true then the only remedy is either another good block or having the block resleeved. A visual inspection will not reveal much, not unless the sleeve has moved enough to be visible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Nrr...714&feature=iv

follow this advice and you will know for sure. If yu read the robinson article you will understand it may be a crack behind the liner as they wher machined by a blind monkey and are all out of speck. I would suspect the worst as these engines are realy POS. You should be able to find a block though and just rebuild. Its a tough choice i know...mine has a blown motor and its a 2004 and i am either going to power with diesel or roll it off a cliff...

Good luck, Chris

Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

there was a 2001 or 2002 motor in Phoenix, listed on Craigslist over the weekend. 25k miles for $1500 as I recall. you might check it out. If it runs, it may save you tons of money and time. Phil

Quick Reply: Engine Really Need Replaced?