Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine rebuild advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default engine rebuild advice

I have the top end of my 4.6 torn down and was thinking of pulling the block and giving it a once over. I mean whats a couple more hours to pull it... The block ,pistons and cyliners are in question at best and what's another chuck of cash anyway. i am going to everything cleaned and bead blasted. replace all bearings , seals and timing chain and sprocket. check cam....have heads completly gone over and have the cylinders checked . i am hoping for just a hone with new rings. Besides the cleaning and machining, i could do most of the teardown and rebuild myself. Anyone with engine building experience...i would love to her your opinions...Its got 130k on it ... I am actually thinking of selling it and getting a DI so i can do a diesel conversion that isnt so much of a pain in the ***...

Thanks Chris

I want my parts to look like this ...can i also do this to the intake?

Last edited by vandev; 07-27-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you pulled your crank you have to do main bearings, no choice there. You may as well do new con rod bearings, they should show some wear by now. Check the crank journals before buying bearings, if it needs machining then you need oversize bearings. Check cam lobes for wear, also check lifters, push rods, rocker shafts and rocker arms.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow Vandev,
I have not rebuilt an engine. But after all that work in refurbishing, wont you want to get your money's worth and drive it for another 50,000. Seems like at this point you have exercised the demons. I have a spare crankshaft, 4.6 block, cam & flywheel if you need any replacement parts. Your parts look nice and refinished now !

Mountain Bikes And Land Rover Parts

Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Wow Vandev,
I have not rebuilt an engine. But after all that work in refurbishing, wont you want to get your money's worth and drive it for another 50,000. Seems like at this point you have exercised the demons. I have a spare crankshaft, 4.6 block, cam & flywheel if you need any replacement parts. Your parts look nice and refinished now !

Mountain Bikes And Land Rover Parts

They are not my parts but what i want to make them look like...I figured i could get alot more when selling it with a rebuilt engine...as for the demons...well ....they crawled pretty far up my *** with this rig...i want a diesel rig ...tired of hummer mpg...i feel like a idiot when i fill up....

Last edited by vandev; 07-27-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're going to sell it, I wouldn't bother going through the block unless you know it needs doing. If you just had a blown head gasket, button it back up.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

x2 as Tom says.
The photo is misleading, I assumed you had stripped the block, if that's not the case then don't go that far.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default thats the question..

I have the motor stripped to the block...i havent taken the sump or anything else off yet. The headgaskets look as new..The head bolts wher all hand tght when i took off. the front seal is leaking as the front cover is black. the steering pump is leaking. I havent a clue why the truck overheated. It did have a knock we could never find out wher it was comming from. It lacked ***** as my daughters 2000 DII seamed like a porsche compaired to mine. The heads are not warped as i checked with level and strait bar. They are clean in the rocker covers but black inside at the plugs. I am doing the labor myself so its no big deal. The cyliners look far from cross hatched...they are a bit glazed.. I need to pressure leak teat so i need to make the blockoff parts cap the watrepump and pump 21 psi into the block to see if the rest is worth it. If i sunk a extra $1,600.00 into the bottom half i could double that when i sell it. That is my thinking. It waould be as close to new as i also replaced the transfer cae a month ago and i am in the process of doing the front driveshaft.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Chris

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man that a tough call.
After all of that work I would keep it for a while.
I dont think the buyer is going to care that it has a rebuilt engine unless it comes with paper work and a warranty to prove it.
They dont know you, how do they know you know what you're doing?
Are they going to think you neglected it and thats why the engine blew up? If you tell them its a POS then they wont buy it.
I think you have to keep driving it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

x2, you're not going to increase the resale value by sinking more money into it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default I hear you...

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man that a tough call.
After all of that work I would keep it for a while.
I dont think the buyer is going to care that it has a rebuilt engine unless it comes with paper work and a warranty to prove it.
They dont know you, how do they know you know what you're doing?
Are they going to think you neglected it and thats why the engine blew up? If you tell them its a POS then they wont buy it.
I think you have to keep driving it.

i live in mami and for miami it's a huge selling point...i also would get great refrence from land rover indy shop i do business with as his own machinest would be doing the work.....Spike...bro....i really want a DI now.....go figure....I have one picked out already......

Quick Reply: engine rebuild advise