Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rreinholt
At that point they replaced the gaskets. All seemed fine today after a test drive.
Which gaskets? Did they do a head gasket job? I assume they got the cylinder heads planed? Maybe they screwed the pooch on the head gasket job. Make them do that side again. If not I would take it home and redo that side's head gasket myself and make sure it is done right.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Send me your tele number, we should talk.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR just told me they checked and rechecked the engine for warped cylinders, dropped sleeves, gasket leaks and have found nothing. They are still getting coolant into the #6 cylinder. It is their belief that I have a crack behind the sleeve. After all that they have done, the truck still has the same issue; at start up truck runs rough and the service light starts flashing, after warming up 1-2 minutes, the light goes solid and truck runs fine. Only issue is it has overheated 3 times on me over the past 1 1/2 years. LR said to dig into motor would cost more than new or re-manufactured engine. Either option is more expensive than the truck is worth. Anyone have any ideas other than what LR told me?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Drifting

call me at 623-215-6686 if you can help

Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
TReK

So did they do the head gaskets already?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Drifting

LR just called, one of the tech's mentioned at product called "Bar's Leak" that might be a band-aid to my situation. Has anyone worked with this product before. LR is doing a little research before trying.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lipadj46
So did they do the head gaskets already?
Yes and the engine has the same issues.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DO NOT BUY A ENGINE FROM A LR DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy a used engine and have it put in by a indie mechanic, it will cost you less than half of what the dealer wants.
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.roverlandparts.com

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Well the saga draws on. After some sound advice from an past industry expert, , I contacted LR corporate & BBB to get some additional input on LR diagnosis, the LR fix (head gasket replace) and now the Bar's Leak treatment. I asked LR corporate for the District Service Rep, but was given the run around and directed back to the dealer. Finally LR Corp, took my complaint and investigated at the dealership but has only backed the dealer. My issue is that LR diagnosed the problem, gave me a solution, completed the proposed repair and now the engine is still in the same condition. LR expects me to pay for the head gasket regardless of it working. It was stated that the gasket was still needed. I don’t know if the repair was done correctly since 2-3 service personal were working on my truck. (One guy fell and broke an ankle while working on my truck which delayed the gasket repair at first.) I am waiting for the Dealer to contact me today to discuss how the Bar's Leak method is going but now they are aware of my contact to complain. Any input?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
TReK

Stop effin' around and get it out of the dealership and either into your own garage or to a good indy shop.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement