Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stopping intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 07:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stopping intermittently

So I'm having a recently identified issue with my 2000 LR Disco II shutting down while driving or idling at super random times. The only things that seem to be receiving any power at all after the shut down are the radio and the ignition (light around the aftermarket push-to-start is lit up). However, if I go to restart the engine, it's like nothing is being acknowledged (push to start). Just stays lit up with ZERO change. If I disconnect the battery, everything is fine and it will start up but the random engine shut downs happen. They're superrrr sporadic. I can have it idling for 3 hours with no issue, or have it idling for 5 min and it will turn off. No pattern at all. I initially thought a ground was loose , so I cleaned them all and it still occurs. I started my car today and it started right up. Put it in gear and made it 3 feet before the motor shut down. This time, it was different. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, it still wouldn't start ot even turn over. When I hit my push to start twice (to put the car in "run") then went under the hood and pushed on the R2 relay. It turned over and started up. Would thr R2 relay also be causing it to intermittently shut off as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-03-2023, 10:10 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I’m not following push to start on a Disco 2.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Harvlr
I’m not following push to start on a Disco 2.
aftermarket. It was added.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

This doesn’t sound like a crank position sensor issue. Do you have a way to bypass the aftermarket push start? I would start there.

The following 2 users liked this post by zski128:
Richard Gallant (12-04-2023), sqlbullet (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 04:29 PM
Overlanding

Okay, I appreciate the response and your time. If for some reason there isn't an issue with the push to start or anything of that nature, what else would cause the vehicle to just shut off with no signs of rough idling or operation while driving or just idling in park? are there any other fuses, relays, or grounds that, if disconnected or loose would cause the vehicle to completely shut down? electrical issues are by far the bane of my existence and a shortfall in automotive knowledge to say the least. any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:01 PM
TReK

I agree with zski. Get the push to start system out of the way and go back to the original system to start your troubleshooting. Especially as this seems to be an odd problem (I don’t remember reading about this same problem on a non-modified Disco).

Old 12-04-2023, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JB4466
Okay, I appreciate the response and your time. If for some reason there isn't an issue with the push to start or anything of that nature, what else would cause the vehicle to just shut off with no signs of rough idling or operation while driving or just idling in park? are there any other fuses, relays, or grounds that, if disconnected or loose would cause the vehicle to completely shut down? electrical issues are by far the bane of my existence and a shortfall in automotive knowledge to say the least. any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
There are other causes for the random shutdown but none that I can think of that match your symptoms. Someone else one this forum or another had an aftermarket push button start from Amazon that gave them all sorts of starting and stopping issues.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:35 PM
Overlanding

well, dang. I'm going to just have to mess with that then. i have little to no knowledge of these things, nor do i have a key for the vehicle itself. this should be fun. I think ill start with just looking at all of the connections and everything associated to see if there are any visibly flawed / burnt connections within and go from there. I'll be sure to post what i find whenever i find the issue to ensure anyone in this situation in the future has something to go off of.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:22 PM
TReK

Yes thanks, please keep us posted.
As for no key, it shouldn’t be difficult to get at the wires for the ignition switch and bypass it. It’s probably even accessible where the PO wired in the push to start.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Overlanding

Yeah for sure. It's more in keeping with setting up for the future. I see that AB sells an entire ignition switch plug and play with keys; however, whatever switch the PO put in there has a security system as well. Judging by some of the previous wiring that I've had to repair, I'm really hoping that there is a connection that got wet or needs cleaned and properly secured for it to be good to go. I'll try to remember to take some pictures for reference, in the event someone has a similar issue. These threads have helped me out more than a few times, so it's time to pay it forward!

Quick Reply: Engine Stopping intermittently