Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stopping intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 08:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update.

Alright, quick update. Removed the steering column cover and immidiately saw water in the bottom of it. Needless to say, I feel like I may be on the right track. That, or I'm on track to fix something that would have soon been an issue regardless.

Removed the bottom cover that sits below the steering wheel and the black base that sits level at the bottom of the dash and found more water and gunk. Pics attached. Given that there is water all over the place. Im going to now remove the interior fuse box and check for any corrosion / loose or damaged connections.

One those are complete, im going to start tracing the wires to this aftermarket security system and ensure everything is as it should be with that.

Then comes locating where the water is coming from and covering / sealing to ensure it doesnt happen anymore. Ill try and take pictures as i go. If anyone sees anything wild, please let me know what I should check/fix.

Water in the base of the steering column

Left side wiring on the column

Right side wiring on the column

Push to start button backside

Push to start button front

Base cover where the OBD port sits in.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Do you have the Electrical Circuits and Electrical Library PDFs?

Old 12-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Overlanding

Yes I have a printed one. However, after separating t

he top from the bottom of the interior fuse box, there is some slight but very present corrosion on the board itself. Plan is to clean it up and a soft bristle brush and some alcohol? Idk what the best thing to clean this would be to be honest. Picture attached

Old 12-04-2023, 09:35 PM
Camel Trophy

The PDFs are easier to use, I think, especially because of the ability to search them easily. Just google the doc names.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@JB4466 Isoprop Alcohol and qutips. But the traces that are discolored may be a bigger issue

Old 12-05-2023, 01:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

There's also something like CRC electrical contact cleaner. There should be a quick drying variant for PCBs and sensitive electronics that would fit the bill.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:07 AM
Overlanding

To everyone who has responded, I am extremely thankful for your time. Genuinely. Where I'm at right now:

I have pulled the interior fuse panel, cleaned it, cleaned all associated connectors and fuses; then reassembled.

Upon reassembly, I noticed that the black wire going to the push button start, was hanging on by a thread. Re-sodered the connections (all of them) including cleaning and all required actions to ensure there was sound connection.

I have (I think) located where the water was coming in at and sealed.

Started the car, turned off within 3 min or so.

Disconnected the battery to reset everything (ignition more than anything) started the car, ran for about 10 min and shut down.

Disconnected the battery, again.... started the car, pulled the positive cable off of the battery, ran for about 30 sec then shut off.

It's not running "rough" per se, however, something it 100% off. Ive had a mean alternator whine for a while not and ive just redone the motor mounts, could this affect the tension to the point where its adding more stress and causing it to be fickle? I know the belt isn't connected to anything that was adjusted, just throwing crap at a wall so to speak.

Another running theory,tive had a slight oil leak for a while, could the newly adjusted level of the engine with the new motor mounts have caused the vehicle to realize how low on oil it is and now that's what's off / causing friction from within? I dumped some sea foam in the oil because I plan to do an oil change tomorrow and there was a very noticeable change in how it runs. Went from "somethings off," to "its running rough," to "it seems to be slightly better."

All in all, I feel like I'm hitting a culmination and a lot of things coupled together are causing this sudden shut down of the engine. The oil and alternator are first on my list. I also have a bunch of seemingly corroded 50/30 Amp fuses, those will be done tomorrow as well. Any ideas?

Old 12-05-2023, 05:50 AM
Camel Trophy

The standard, keyed ignition is mechanical. I presume the pushbutton start replaces some of those mechanical connections with an electronic control module. If that's the case, might it simply be that the control module has an internal fault?

I recall someone else on this forum a few years ago who installed a pushbutton start system and ended up scrapping it a few months later, because it was trouble prone. I don't recall the specifics, but you could probably search the forum and find the thread or threads.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:04 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I installed one of those pushbuttons and then removed it. Half of its stated functions never worked, and since it doesn't sense that the engine is running but rather just sends a short pulse to the starter motor, it was almost impossible to get the truck running in very cold weather when it needed a few more cranks. Since the pushbutton system includes the running circuits as well as the starter circuits, an internal fault with it could very well cause these symptoms.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:32 PM
Overlanding

No kidding. Well i guess ill have to order the new ignition from Atlantic British that comes with the keys. I don't know much else that would honestly cause these issues other than the Push button shorting out just long enough to glitch out and turn off the system. unfortunate, however, it is what it is i suppose. This thing 100% has me scratching my head for sure.

Quick Reply: Engine Stopping intermittently