Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap parts list

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by me6067
Very tempting... What are the odds that my bearings went bad in 30,000 miles since the rebuild? I mean the guy was an idiot who assembled it so nothing would surprise me... But lets not forget there is a lot of top end noise also. None of which existed prior to my miss firing issue. I was literally driving down the road and the engine was running a little rough at one intersection while at a stop. Resumed driving and I get misfire codes, light is flashing engine is banging. Changed plugs, wires and coils... no more miss fires but engine is still banging.

Assuming liners are still in place... Maybe the tappets are also in need of replacing? what are the odds of all this happening at the same time of a misfire. I literally pulled over, shut the engine down and called a tow truck, drove it onto the truck, and off and into my garage. Noise isn't any different weather the engine is hot or cold.

I will go home:
-Sniff the coolant...
-Hook up my lynx diag and double check there are no misfire accruing and then run test to measure cylinder roughness.
I have a bit of an update...

-sniffed the coolant - no smells
-hooked up the lynx diag - I still have a constant missfire from cylinder 5 but no codes.
-puled the plug swapped it out with a fresh one, no change
compared spark from 5 and the one next to it and both have comparatively equal good spark.

I am starting to think I might have been over reacting about my engine noise and I am just dealing with a missfire issue. I think my next step is to move the number 5 injector to another spot to see what happens.