Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine ticking while idle and warm.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My two cents would be they need to find the source of course. Having your oil pressure checked would also be a wise choice as mentioned You could have anything from a collapsing lifter to a rod bearing that is going south.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about a rear cam bearing?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I took it back the first time they assured me it would be fixed, they essentially changed the oil, and while it was sitting in the lot warming up (the sales man explaining they fixed the tick) it started to tick again. ARG! So they kept it, said they were looking at lifters, rocker arms, all this other stuff. I went back again and same thing happened - i asked for a shop reciept and he couldnt furnish one. Ended up returning the car, and got a 2004 with 70k miles on it - and no tick :-D

Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

I have a 94 Disco I and it has the same tick... only louder. I imagine it's because it has had 17 years to develop really nicely.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Mudding

Had a huge garage party this weekend, brakes, plugs and wires, ATF Engine Flush, New 15w40, and my tick disappeared!! For like 30 minutes. The general consensus of all of my friends who know way more about engines than me is that it is a lifter, nothing mission critical, but annoying nonetheless. I am planning on doing my headgaskets for no good reason in the next few months (77k on an 03, I figure beat them to the punch of causing problems) and plan on taking a look at them while I am in there.

Turd, I almost bought a full safari package 97 that sounded like it had baseball cards in the spokes from a Rover Dealer, I think it gave the truck character and was told that was typical.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Overlanding

Same problem here. I have a 99 Disco II with 103K miles on it, purchased the car from a Disco mechanic, replaced oil with 15w40 still no go, Car sounds great for about 20 minutes then after it's warmed up tick, tick ,tick away at idle.
kind of frustrating, but not sure I want to spend any money on this issue.
I have a check engine ligh that comes on, when I took it to my disco mechanic and he plugs it into the computer it comes up with something to do with the pressure in the gas tank, so he told me to get a new gas cap, which I did, he reset the computer, the check engine light was off for a day then came back on. Uggg. I guess if you want a Disco with no problems buy a new one then sell it after the warranty is up.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kuau
Same problem here. I have a 99 Disco II with 103K miles on it, purchased the car from a Disco mechanic, replaced oil with 15w40 still no go, Car sounds great for about 20 minutes then after it's warmed up tick, tick ,tick away at idle.
kind of frustrating, but not sure I want to spend any money on this issue.
I have a check engine ligh that comes on, when I took it to my disco mechanic and he plugs it into the computer it comes up with something to do with the pressure in the gas tank, so he told me to get a new gas cap, which I did, he reset the computer, the check engine light was off for a day then came back on. Uggg. I guess if you want a Disco with no problems buy a new one then sell it after the warranty is up.
Next time you screw down the cap, look at it sideways. I used to always just screw it til it clicked, then I looked at it sideways and saw I had a good 3 rotations left to go. Had the same code on the 03 I believe it was a P0405, gross evap leak. Didnt think it could be that easy and always only looked at my gascap from above, hope your fix is that easy.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Winching

Can't make out much from the vid but I thought it sounded like an exhaust leak.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Overlanding

Disco Benjamin,
yes I turn the cap 3-4 times. I was hoping it was the problem but it wasn't next time I go to my mechanic I will write down the error code.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Can't make out much from the vid but I thought it sounded like an exhaust leak.
Can you expound on that? And if it is an exhaust leak, would it begin when the truck is at idle and go away when you accelerate? And if you are leaking exhaust, wouldnt that throw Codes of some sort?

Any input would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking while idle and warm.