Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/Tranny swap idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Engine/Tranny swap idea

So ive been wanting to do an engine/tranny swap for a while now in i came across this Land Rover - Transfer Case Adaptors - Engine Conversions.

If im reading this correctly all i would need ( other than custom mounts, drive shafts and whatnot) is engine and tranny from like a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L V8, and the adapter plate and the LT230 will bolt right in.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix
So ive been wanting to do an engine/tranny swap for a while now in i came across this Land Rover - Transfer Case Adaptors - Engine Conversions.

If im reading this correctly all i would need ( other than custom mounts, drive shafts and whatnot) is engine and tranny from like a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L V8, and the adapter plate and the LT230 will bolt right in.
I believe you have to separately purchase the smaller flywheel and mini starter, mount that to the flex plate, and get the Chevy PCM reprogrammed. Marks does it but it costs alot. I like the idea, though, and am considering the similar kit for a SBC.

Marks should give us a couple of free kits so we can show off and drive demand.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling

I was talking about the adapter to mount the lt230 transfer case to a gm transmission. I wouldn't need a fly wheel and starter because i would be using a gm motor and transmission. The adapter plate is to mount the rover transfer case to the gm transmission.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a thread about an adapter for GM trans to LR t-case.

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Defender Source

Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Daedrix, my apologies. I am not as dopey as I seem. I was actually looking at Marks' site when I saw your post and when I clicked the link it appeared to take me to the exact page I had been looking at! HAHAAHA! I'm sorry. The page just hadn't loaded.

I have had my Disco II since new (bought in 1999) and have researched every type of swap including diesels, Chevy SBC's, LSX's, etc. for YEARS and am always open to a swap--to the point that I have a savings account that is funded for that specific purpose. But I have gotten so frustrated that, at present, I have one Disco II and THREE prissy Land Rover Engines. The closest I have come to a swap is swapping my 4.0 to a 4.6 (done), and being within minutes of driving two states away to pay cash for a complete, stranded, diesel powered Disco I on very short notice, just for the adapter and manual transmission.

That adapter by Marks would physically work. There is another adapter that occasionally shows up on eBay for the NV3550/NV4500 transmissions to an LT230 that is about 600 dollars.

The complications that I see with an LSX swap are electronic, and that is why they work best on a Disco I, older Range Rover or, better yet (and why the adapter are so expensive...) a Defender. The Disco II just has so much in the way of electronics on it. As you say, you would need that adapter, fabricated motor and transmission mounts, use the Chevy PCM and transmission controller, and graft sufficient rover sensors to the engine to make a parallel rover ECM/BCM happy so that turning your key will do something and your gauges will work. Then it is just a matter of adapting your shifter position sensor to the Chevy transmission controller (or using a Chevy position selector on the rover shifter and figuring out how to turn the engine on and off (the LSX PCM will expect some code from the ignition and alarm, if equipped, before giving the starter and other running-related electronics the go ahead). Your gauges should work as long as you put a rover crank sensor (for RPMs) on the chevy engine, which would be simple. Where I live, inspections don't involve emissions or obdII ports, so I don't know what would happen with those.

I am probably forgetting some things, like how to turn the engine off--unless the rover ignition was fully talking to the Chevy PCM, startup and shutdown would be an issue. Or just rip out all of the rover stuff and use a chevy ignition, wiring harness, etc.

Someone here (I think "ShadeTree") did an LS swap and there is a long thread on it. It wasn't easy but he wasn't using that adapter. The adapter would cut out alot of ShadeTree's difficulties.

Honestly, the electronics issue is what caused me to get a quote on a Small Block (distributor controlled) engine a couple of weeks ago and was the reason I was looking at Marks' page when I saw your post. But, whether an LSX or SBC, I was contemplating using one of my rover transmissions (which simply requires the adapter ring and smaller flex plate that I mentioned in my earlier, misguided, post), along with a couple of grafted sensors (crank and throttle position).

That Marks' adapter is a quality item and I am sure they do not sell many of them, but the price still strikes me as outrageous.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Daedrix
Yea. you could. But like Charlie has said, its getting the electrics to play nicely. The actual swap is the easy part. Its getting everyone to shake hands and agree to work together.
if you live in an emissions testing state, then its critical. If you dont, rock out with the .......well you get the idea.

Last edited by dgi 07; 04-07-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much ? I am thinking of getting an old 1500 ls and stealing everything, that should work? the disco 2 is an 2002, its had 2 rebuilds and 2 engine swaps all around 70,000 miles... this time she has made it to 120,000 but now burning more oil and coolant than gas... she has every light one abs tc you name it dash looks like a Christmas tree . tired of the dico power plant but I love the truck and just need more direction ... please don't try to talk me into another rebuild or dico for disco swap. thanks in advance

Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Tom Morrow
how much ? I am thinking of getting an old 1500 ls and stealing everything, that should work? the disco 2 is an 2002, its had 2 rebuilds and 2 engine swaps all around 70,000 miles... this time she has made it to 120,000 but now burning more oil and coolant than gas... she has every light one abs tc you name it dash looks like a Christmas tree . tired of the dico power plant but I love the truck and just need more direction ... please don't try to talk me into another rebuild or dico for disco swap. thanks in advance
Tom the base kit on the link in post one is about 1500 (I think) but they don't specify how much for the PCM programming. The adapter to the lt230 will probably require a cheap trip to a transmission shop to swap the gear at the back of the transmission. The electronics? No idea. A couple of fabbed brackets: free. I got a quote from a reputable salvage yard for a low mileage LS out of a truck with transmission (not sure which transmission or which LS... Can't remember) with everything on it (harness, alternator, compressor, etc.) for 1500.

There is a great video on YouTube of a guy using a Chevy 4.3 v8 (common Mexican swap engine) exclusively with Rover electronics. Coils, sensors,... The works! His accent gives me spontaneous irritable bowel syndrome but he has it figured out and turns it on to prove it. If you search "4.3 land rover discovery" on Youtube it ia the first one. It gives you an idea of what is involved once the engine is in and, also, how much room you have in the engine bay even after dropping a Chevy v8 in. Inspiring. Be sure to listen all of the way to the end when he responds to the automotive engineer who said it couldn't be done.

I have three Rover engines and I HATE them. Underpowered, finicky, large, complicated, gas guzzling, prissy, inefficient, expensive, junk. I wouldn't talk you out of it. If you figured it out I'd duplicate your success in a heartbeat and sell my fine engines to some sucker. I don't care if a rover engine only weighs six ounces. A Chevy v8 is the way to go.

When I bought my Disco II (new) the salesman gushed about how it was low horsepower but high torque "just like a diesel but the fuel is a little more." Hahaha I wish I had his address.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-07-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling

I know that the whole electric side of things was going to be the hard part. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the discos engine wire harness/ecu all together.