Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever get fed-up ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever get fed-up ???

Guys, as my title says, although we do love our Discos, ever get fed up by the non stop attention that these vehicles demand. for me, it's one thing after the other, non-stop to the point of being unbelievable. In the last nine months, I've gone trough SLS conversion, intake manifold gaskets, front main gaskets, rear O2 sensors, Y-pipe leaking gaskets,6 disc CD player,radiator, Head gasket job,Y-pipe gaskets again, and last, on my way back home from that last y-pipe gasket change, theCHECK ENGINElight turns on and my obd2 reader says that its the bank 2 sensor 1. It's like this thing is alive and insist on having something wrong. For some reason, it eats up y-pipe gaskets, cause I still got a leak. Last time, they replaced all the y-pipestuds with grade8 bolts, and within a week-end, 2 of them broke on 1 side, and 1 on the other side!!!! any idea what could cause grade 8 bolts to brake in 2 like that?????

Its to the point that although the truck is fully paid for, I rather go back to payments and driving Jeeps ( I'll go look at Grand Cherokees next week-end)than spending all my free time at the garage, or in my garage getting it fixed, or having it fixed depending on what is wrong. I have a family, and I do not know for how long ifI keep being absent all the time. Even my 6 years old hates this truck now. She loves the ride, it's the way it keeps her away from her dad that she hates.I keep promissing that the fixes are the last ones and that soon I'll be done and we will enjoy a reliable truck.......But something always comes up. Dammm I'm disappointed....again!

Thanks for reading me, sure made me feel good to let it out.

Later,

Darover

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ever get fed-up ???

It suprises me too, and I sort of expected it because mine didn't receive alot of the care it should have. These trucks pretty much have to have all of the maintenance done properlyin the first 45k or it sets it up for failure, and since alot of people lease them they drive them in to the ground and don't worry about it. What is the history of your truck?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had those times and its hard I know.

Mine is 12 years old and I like it but at what point do I keep it
closer to the house (with in 500 miles).

I looked at what would fit me and what the Disco I's can do.
I found a Mercedes G500 and a G55 AMG,
The AMG was a roadie but the G500 was a Overlander.

I have found a few diesels G260'sthat came in from a dealer in New Mexico.
So yes I know how hard it is some times.
I guess I have it easy as I only drive mine when I going camping
of kayaking, ect.
If it makes me mad it can set and in a week or two I'm over it.

I wish you luck with the fight your in.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear of your woes. I got mine and it was almost demolished, so I too was expecting the worst. I have always had something in the back of my mind I have been wanting to do (needing to do) but I have taken it from Tulsa to Chicago 3 times and to Dallas 5 times. It has paid for its self many times over, and even though I have been putting money in it, I am still way below what I would have spent in payments over the years.

Sit down and take a look at your payments and increased insurance premiums on a new car with a warranty. Might make you feel better about your old truck. Take a weekend and just drive down a dirt road. Try to remember the good times..

This too shall pass......

Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I know, you don't get much for lets say $500.00 a month. But this adds up to $6000.00 a year!!!!! But its the time spent under it /over it and at garages that I'm fed up with. Not so much the money spent!! cause I realise the above mentionned addition.

Just dove under and have to start another thread.

Later.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it possible you might have a broken or loose motor mount throwing out your gaskets? If the motor rocks on acceleration, that can do it. Put it in gear, hold the brake down and goose the thottle.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must be missing something. studs and flange gaskets dont just blow every day, check the motor mounts or trans mounts(broken?) loosen the rear exhaust flange (binding ?) with the rear loose will the header flanges (y-pipe) flanges fit flush or flat to the manifold ? something is causing the problem. its not just the studs and gaskets. is your exhaust stock ? and dont over tighten the downpipe nuts. Exhaust leaks can cause O2 faults.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know that the Y-pipe and cat assembly is an aftermarket one. But its only lately that those bolts keep breaking.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you mean I have been through 3 mass air meters and just went through 2 front driveshafts and well this last driveshaft broke the transmission casing so this is going to be fun. If anyone has a good deal on a transmission andfront driveshaftfor a 99-02 disco 2 please PM me. But I don't know what to by for the same price as my disco a land cruiser cost about 2-5k more with 200k miles on it and they are about the only thing I would compare a jeep are close but I couldnt pull as much with a Jeep unless it was a newer grand cherokee V8and they have a few problems with their AWD and transfer case from what I have seen.