Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excess Cabine Heat / Electric Cooling Fan Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015 | 04:15 PM
|
Mudding
Default Excess Cabine Heat / Electric Cooling Fan Failure?

Hello All,

I am trying to track down a source of excess cabin heat on the driver side of a 2004 Discovery.

If the electric cooling fan on the front of the radiator was not working could it cause excess heat buildup that would radiate heat to the inside of the cabin on the driver side?

There is a metal bracket to the right of the gas pedal that gets very hot and a lot of heat builds up in this area - my feet get very hot in shoes! One of the brackets for the drivers side seat also gets very warm.

There also seems to be a lot of heat buildup under the hood - more than usual.

My temperature gauge does not move, I have no codes thrown but the SRS light has now come on which may just be a coincidence.

I replaced my catalytic converters thinking that they may have been plugged even though I had no codes showing before. I thought this may have worked but to no avail.

Any ideas? Anything I should be looking for?

Old 09-21-2015 | 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GURU06
Hello All,

I am trying to track down a source of excess cabin heat on the driver side of a 2004 Discovery.

If the electric cooling fan on the front of the radiator was not working could it cause excess heat buildup that would radiate heat to the inside of the cabin on the driver side?

There is a metal bracket to the right of the gas pedal that gets very hot and a lot of heat builds up in this area - my feet get very hot in shoes! One of the brackets for the drivers side seat also gets very warm.

There also seems to be a lot of heat buildup under the hood - more than usual.

My temperature gauge does not move, I have no codes thrown but the SRS light has now come on which may just be a coincidence.

I replaced my catalytic converters thinking that they may have been plugged even though I had no codes showing before. I thought this may have worked but to no avail.

Any ideas? Anything I should be looking for?
Are you going by the stock temperature gauge on the dash, Or do you have an aftermarket installed? With the AC turned on and with the vehicle running and warmed up of course, you can go up to the front of the truck and be able to see and hear the condenser fan running. Is there a heat shield located above the 'cats' that may have bee left off after the replacement? If the motor is running hot you wouldn't feel it in the floorboard. I think you are missing a heat barrier above the cat-converter

Last edited by chubbs878; 09-21-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2015 | 05:43 AM
Baja

if the condenser fan isnt working i would be more worried about running the engine hot

Old 10-10-2017 | 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Hello,
Did you ever find out what was causing the excessive heat on your feet?
I too have a 2004 Disc II and have the same problem.
All the best,
Guzziguy

Old 10-10-2017 | 10:03 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Guzziguy
Hello,
Did you ever find out what was causing the excessive heat on your feet?
I too have a 2004 Disc II and have the same problem.
All the best,
Guzziguy

As said, could be missing heat shields.
Converters could be stopping up, but that would make engine temp go up.
Basically the cats are right under the driver and front passenger's feet. With a heat shield, aluminum body, and carpet being all that's between them and your feet.
My Disco does not run hot, but the previous owner put an extra set of rubber floor mats under the stock mats. It makes a noticeable difference.
I will be putting a radiant barrier under the carpet (and above headliner) after I fix a few other things. That will fix the heat problems permanantly

Old 10-10-2017 | 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench

I have the same issue, however, I believe it is due to my own cheapness...

Let me explain, I replaced the heater core with a cheap brand from China. After doing this, I noticed a fair amount of heat coming from the back side of the heater core closest to my right foot. This only occurs when in ECON mode and when the unit is blowing ambient air.

My fix, that is on the backlog, take some kind of heat blocking fabric and stuff between the center console and drivers side heater core.

Not sure if this is the same issue that you are having but, wanted to highlight you are not the only one and it could be multiple issues.

Also note, my truck likes to run around 201 F

Old 10-11-2017 | 01:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Good ideas above, but also an exhaust hole could be blowing hot exhaust up against your floorboard.

Old 10-16-2017 | 09:47 PM
Drifting

Try this:

Turn on AC and set temperature to ice cold and the blower to max. Let run for 10 seconds then turn off. Check to see if you still experience the excess heat.

I’ll look for the thread where I read this but it saved my roasting feet.

Old 10-16-2017 | 09:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by LandBeard
Try this:

Turn on AC and set temperature to ice cold and the blower to max. Let run for 10 seconds then turn off. Check to see if you still experience the excess heat.

I’ll look for the thread where I read this but it saved my roasting feet.

The AC in my 04 throws ice cubes, it's freezing cold.
There is also noticeable heat from the floor and roof in summer. A radiant barrier will fix that.

Old 10-17-2017 | 09:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I have to use the climate control to have cooler ventilated air instead of heat when on road trips. Even in cooler weather...These rigs heat and cool pretty good.