Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Here's a follow up to my https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...m-studs-80530/ thread.

Two questions --- why did Land Rover use 12 pt bolts for the exhaust manifolds instead of conventional hex-head, and why does the RAVE specify replacing and not reusing the original bolts when changing the exhaust manifold?

I reused mine six years ago when I did the headgaskets on my truck (applying anti-seize, of course) except for the one I had snapped off. I replaced it with a conventional hex-head 3/8" bolt in the appropriate length from the local big-box home improvement store. Being more of a neophyte then I checked first with P.T. Schram who assured me there was no metallurgical reason not to do so.

Following on my downpipe gasket repair I'm soon going to be replacing an exhaust manifold gasket next month. I don't need advice here; I'm just wondering why Land Rover did what it did in this case. I'm sure if P.T. or Tom Rowe were still active here we might get some great insight quickly but maybe there's another engineer now on the forum.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Here's a follow up to my https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...m-studs-80530/ thread.

Two questions --- why did Land Rover use 12 pt bolts for the exhaust manifolds instead of conventional hex-head, and why does the RAVE specify replacing and not reusing the original bolts when changing the exhaust manifold?

I reused mine six years ago when I did the headgaskets on my truck (applying anti-seize, of course) except for the one I had snapped off. I replaced it with a conventional hex-head 3/8" bolt in the appropriate length from the local big-box home improvement store. Being more of a neophyte then I checked first with P.T. Schram who assured me there was no metallurgical reason not to do so.

Following on my downpipe gasket repair I'm soon going to be replacing an exhaust manifold gasket next month. I don't need advice here; I'm just wondering why Land Rover did what it did in this case. I'm sure if P.T. or Tom Rowe were still active here we might get some great insight quickly but maybe there's another engineer now on the forum.

It's another assembly/repair time saving issue. The RAVE manual is actually for Landrover appointed agencies and main dealers so they invariably always replace bolts and parts instead of reusing them. I believe it applies to all main dealerships of whatever make they are. They never use anti-seize copper grease also. If the bolts aren't corroded and in good condition just reuse them, there is no metallurgical reason why not.