Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Systems for 03 DII

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Systems for 03 DII

Posted this yesterday under the Headers, Intake and Exhaust section but perhaps I'd get more hits here.

Thinking of upgrading my stock exhaust system. Any recommendations? Flowmaster? Borla? Magnaflow? Duel or single? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you looking for more sound or more flow?

Is there a problem with your current exhaust?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Posted this yesterday under the Headers, Intake and Exhaust section but perhaps I'd get more hits here.

Thinking of upgrading my stock exhaust system. Any recommendations? Flowmaster? Borla? Magnaflow? Duel or single? Thanks.
What is your intention in upgrading the exhaust. That is kind of important.

Also, "dual".

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Pistols at dawn!

Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Nothing wrong with my current stock exhaust system. I was just wondering if one of the ones I mentioned above would perhaps increase fuel economy and maybe a little more horsepower and a throatier sound. If there is a slight increase, wondering if it's even worth it.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

want more throat? cut your resonator off, a new exhaust = no new power or higher MPG

Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Nothing wrong with my current stock exhaust system. I was just wondering if one of the ones I mentioned above would perhaps increase fuel economy and maybe a little more horsepower and a throatier sound. If there is a slight increase, wondering if it's even worth it.
On naturally aspirated fuel injected motors, you aren't going to pick up HP from changing the exhaust. All you can do it trade low end torque for high end torque. Chances are high that the factory (whatever factory, not just Rovers) have figured out this optimal balance on the stock system.

hilltoper is right - if you want more growl, try cutting off the resonator first. If you don't like it, you can just clamp it back on. If you do, get it piped fully out the back from where you cut it. Easy evening project.

If that's not enough growl for you, then you're into changing the center muffler with something like you mentioned.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the suggestion. Figured I may not get a real noticeable HP difference. I just saw some products, I think maybe Borla, that were for Land Rovers so I thought I'd inquire if they were worth it and if there were any advantages to them.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a video so you can get an idea of what it will sound like if you just remove the resonator. Keep in mind that this video is taken right by the exhaust pipe, so it sounds louder in the video than it actually will...

YouTube - ‪Land Rover Discovery: No Resonator‬‏

Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling

That's actually a nice throaty sound. Thanks for the vid. Is there any difference between doing that and say purchasing a flowmaster?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Systems for 03 DII