Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

existing problems after head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default existing problems after head gasket job

So you guys may recall that I was in neglect about having a blown head gasket. But all the signs were there and I removed spark plug #8 and sure enough it was a blown hg. So what else was I to do except to perform the hg job.

Replaced the hg, got the heads shaved. You can actually see cyl 8 had a chunk missing on the old hg. Put humpty dumpty back together again. Now I still have the waterfall noise, everything else is fine. No other issues, I bleed the system time after time as you guys said on the sticky to no anvil. I do NOT have the bleeder on the T though, not sure if that is the problem?

When I perform the bleeding the air procedure everything goes smooth, have heat out of all vents..etc. And after driving a few hundred miles the coolant res level hasnt changed. Help please!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are in fact bleeding the system properly, when cold then rechecking it a day later, then you still have a bad head gasket that is pressurizing the coolant system.
You are lucky that hose hasn't failed, before you do anything else, order the newer style hose/bleed screw before it blows.
Are you sure you are bleeding it properly?
Till you get the new hose, when cold, fill your coolant bottle to the lid and check it every other day.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Drifting

Thanks Mike, Yeah I am bleeding it properly. Raise the expansion tank with lid off, remove the bleed screw on the hose which lays across the fan shroud. Make sure steady stream comes out, install bleed screw. Start vehicle and run on full heat. Coolant level doesnt go down. I do not have a bad hg, I replaced both of them. I no longer have any CEL with misfires like I did before from water pouring in the cylinders when engine was cold....

I just read about lifting the front of the vehicle and bleed that way with more gravity on your side, what do you think about that one? I havent filled it to the lid, I will do that too if lifting it doesnt bleed any out.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Does anyone know what part number or what it is called, the upper rad "T" with the bleed screw. I cant find it anywhere, looked on Atlantic British and google.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Drifting

I do crack the bleed screw while I hold the bottle up, but not when its running.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCH000460G.cfm

Do you have heat? Did you run the heat on high while bleeding?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Drifting

wtf, cant just order the t? I have a t in there just no bleed screw. weird....

Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told to park the tuck at a big incline, nose up, or jack the front end way up, then fill the cooling system and that some how runs all the fluid down into the heater core inside the truck which is where your getting the waterfall noise from.. hope this helps

Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Send me your number and I'll call you.
Any on-line rover supplier has the hose, Atlantic British, DAP, Rover Parts of Utah and more.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Sending you a pm with my number....I just jacked up the front and tried to bleed it again. I did notice that the res was an inch or two down from where its been staying. A little less waterfall noise now.

Quick Reply: existing problems after head gasket job