Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended ESP? Where to get the cheapest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended ESP? Where to get the cheapest?

I heard that you can buy one from FORD as long as you are still in your current warranty and your LR was built while FORD owned them. Is this true? If so, who sells the cheapest factory ESP as there is no set price?

Thanks all,
Scuba

Last edited by ScubaCat; 09-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do not waste your money on a extended warranty.
They dont cover crap and are WAY over priced.
You are better off putting the money into a Money Market Account and pulling it out IF you need a repair that you dont have the money for.
If you dont have the $3,000 up front that a warranty would cost then open a MMA with $100 and put money into every week, $10, $20...whatever you can afford.
Then if you do need a major repair you will have the money to cover it.
If you never use it it will be there for retirement.
Right now is a great time to open a MMA because money is cheap right now and interest rates will only be going up.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM
5th Gear

Problem is, repairs on LRs aren't cheap and could use up the $3k in 1 or 2 visits for minor problems....what then?

I was just quoted $2050 to take a 06 with 35k on it to 2013/100k for the FORD extra care ESP.

Seems like a no brainer to get the ESP...

Last edited by ScubaCat; 09-11-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

If you are not doing any of the work yourself you will go broke in a week.
You must take care of your truck, Rovers are no more expensive to repair than a Ford or Chevy.
In 2.5 years I have spent less than $1,000 in unexpected repairs on my truck.
I stay on top of preventative maintenance, but repairs are almost non existent.
So if you are always going to take your truck to the most expensive shop (the dealer)
and let them rake you over the coals then fine, get the extended warranty and then when they wont cover anything that you need because it was due to lack of owner maintenance so be it.
They wont rebuild your front driveshaft to prevent it from exploding, they wont buy you anew transmission after your driveshaft explodes because it happened from owner abuse.
If you dont have receipts for every little thing that you ever did to your truck they wont cover it.
They wont cover lifter noise that you want fixed because there is no problem, nothing wrong they wont fix it.
It can tick like hell and be so loud and obnoxious that you dont want to drive it and they will tell you to go away.
Then when it does blow up "do you have oil change receipts from the LR dealer? No? You went to Jiffy Lube? Sorry, out of luck"
I have seen it to many times.
It is your money do what you want.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Who says I won't/don't take care of maintenance? I'm more concerned with all the whiz bang techno gagetry than the hard mechanical parts. As far as "owner abuse", that is up to them to prove. The maguson-moss warranty act covers a lot of this and for those willing to make some noise and fuss can be a great aid.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on your truck, if you are over 50,000 miles you are pretty much out of luck. I would suggest you stay away from most of the groups currently selling coverage, they like to get your money and then look for any reason to not cover your problems later.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ScubaCat
Who says I won't/don't take care of maintenance? I'm more concerned with all the whiz bang techno gagetry than the hard mechanical parts. As far as "owner abuse", that is up to them to prove. The maguson-moss warranty act covers a lot of this and for those willing to make some noise and fuss can be a great aid.
I do not mean any dis-respect towards you, I am just trying to help you save some money.
These after market warranty companies are out to make money not fix cars.
Unless it is a full factory warranty from Land Rover that has the same exact coverage as the original warranty I would not do it.
These trucks are pretty much bullet proof.
The only thing that you are looking at spending big money on is head gaskets, $1500 at a indie shop, $3,000 at the dealer.
BUT, unless you can prove that you changed your engine coolant every 45,000 miles or 36 months, whichever is sooner (its in the owners manual under maintenance), it is doubtful that they will cover the repair.
I would just hate to see you spend $2,000 when you dont need to.
Even if they did cover the head gaskets it is $1500, the warranty is $2,000, you are still in the hole by $500.
There is not a single thing on your truck that costs $500 to repair yourself. (aside from engine, trans, etc. which last forever with proper maintenance)
Doing head gaskets yourself will cost you $300.
Not trying to step on your toes, but you asked so I gave you my opinion.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Drifting

I bought my 2003 disco with 68,000 miles last month in Dallas, TX at a Hyundai dealership. It was a trade-in. I bought a extended warranty through the dealership, 3 years or 36,000 miles for $2,600, it covers all major components. I think it was money well spent.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GODSDOZER
I bought my 2003 disco with 68,000 miles last month in Dallas, TX at a Hyundai dealership. It was a trade-in. I bought a extended warranty through the dealership, 3 years or 36,000 miles for $2,600, it covers all major components. I think it was money well spent.
please report back in 3 years or 36k and tell us if you saved $$

Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Three Wheeling

APCO Easy Care is no longer owned by Ford, but still one of the best extended warranty companies out there.

However, private parties cannot buy their warranties directly from them.

Quick Reply: Extended ESP? Where to get the cheapest?