Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabricating my own rear Bumper Steel or aluminium?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Partially, I rewired my reverse light to be turn indicators with orange bulbs and I added a Hella 100 watt work light above the license plate molding.
Not a very level picture but it gets the point across.

Attached Thumbnails Fabricating my own rear Bumper Steel or aluminium?-dscf0001_2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

much cleaner looking

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Nice looking bumper

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are installing a new bumper for protection and support go with 3/16th. steel, aluminum won't give you any sort of support.
Here is what I did for my truck.

Mike did you make that or have that made? I like how the corners look. It nicely matches the upper plastic corner protectors.

So if I fabricate a brace for the wrap around corners with square stock that welds to a bold mounted piece where the trailer hitch bolts. I think that should be as strong as steel. I had a truss design envisioned for support.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Mike, Sorry to hijack, but a Hi Lift mounted on the spare tire? I recall reading over and over that the rear door hinges can't handle the extra load. What has been your experience?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Partially, I rewired my reverse light to be turn indicators with orange bulbs and I added a Hella 100 watt work light above the license plate molding.
Not a very level picture but it gets the point across.

I just wanted to comment on this blinker and reverse talk, this was something I had done earlier this year.... I was gonna one day fab a rear bumper as well... so recently after I updated my 2000 disco 2 to the 2004 headlights and could not find any tail lights to complete my update in the rear... So I wired in reverse LEDs under the bumper on brackets I made, with the blinker wiring ran to the Reverse Clear Lense, using an Orange bulb, so Now whenever i'm ready, I can discard my bumper and not have to incorporate lights into my new rear bumper build... DiscoMike, btw nice bumper...!! Here is a shot of my rear end also...

In short:
reverse lights are now orange blinkers,
bright *** reverse LEDs are under bumper,
bumper brake lights and blinkers are completely disconected and ready to remove.....
Now has 2004 blinker and reverse updates on 2000 Disco.... Quick and easy update to any disco, helps be seen, and helps put the reverse lights closer to the ground where they are actually needed.....

Attached Thumbnails Fabricating my own rear Bumper Steel or aluminium?-img_20110704_183842.jpg   Fabricating my own rear Bumper Steel or aluminium?-img_20110704_183936.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with steel boss.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Mike did you make that or have that made? I like how the corners look. It nicely matches the upper plastic corner protectors.

So if I fabricate a brace for the wrap around corners with square stock that welds to a bold mounted piece where the trailer hitch bolts. I think that should be as strong as steel. I had a truss design envisioned for support.
Send me your number and I can send you lots of picture and show you what to do.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mln01
Mike, Sorry to hijack, but a Hi Lift mounted on the spare tire? I recall reading over and over that the rear door hinges can't handle the extra load. What has been your experience?
I ran with that mount and a 265 spare for 8 years with no hinge issues.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 22Dirty
I just wanted to comment on this blinker and reverse talk, this was something I had done earlier this year.... I was gonna one day fab a rear bumper as well... so recently after I updated my 2000 disco 2 to the 2004 headlights and could not find any tail lights to complete my update in the rear... So I wired in reverse LEDs under the bumper on brackets I made, with the blinker wiring ran to the Reverse Clear Lense, using an Orange bulb, so Now whenever i'm ready, I can discard my bumper and not have to incorporate lights into my new rear bumper build... DiscoMike, btw nice bumper...!! Here is a shot of my rear end also...

In short:
reverse lights are now orange blinkers,
bright *** reverse LEDs are under bumper,
bumper brake lights and blinkers are completely disconected and ready to remove.....
Now has 2004 blinker and reverse updates on 2000 Disco.... Quick and easy update to any disco, helps be seen, and helps put the reverse lights closer to the ground where they are actually needed.....
What size wheels and tires do you have, and how did you get that offset. I love that look and would love form mine to look like that after I put in my terrafirma 3' lift. That is a sharp Disco!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elrocha69
What size wheels and tires do you have, and how did you get that offset. I love that look and would love form mine to look like that after I put in my terrafirma 3' lift. That is a sharp Disco!
Thank you, but they were custom made from a local small/medium wheel shop.... There is nothing pre made in this offset/backspacing or at least that i or the shop could find.... So find a shop that will order you blanks and they will drill your bolt pattern for you.... my only regret was after getting the point across to my guy, was that I didnt stress to him enough that I was aiming for a deeper dish not just the negative offset... So if he would of told me I would of went with 20's from this company because those come with deep dish in the 10's, but other wise, I am completly happy with my set up...

the wheels are made by fuel and are called hostage... 18x10's.... I paid about 225 each for 5 wheels... I don't remember the exact offset but it was the max negative offset that fuel had in that wheel, in that size, in a blank.....

otherwise I thought we were talking about bumpers on this thread...??

Quick Reply: Fabricating my own rear Bumper Steel or aluminium?