Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed NYC Emission Test - Replace 02Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed NYC Emission Test - Replace 02Sensors

I am new to this site. I have a Discovery II 2001SE with 150K miles. I failed the NYC Emission test and the codes that came up were for the two front O2 Sensors. I replaced them for $425.00 and the service engine light is still on.

I'm at a loss with what to do next and cannot get the car inspected. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FrankNYC
Discovery II 2001 SE
150,000 miles

Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Please provide the codes you are getting.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Holy hell, where did you buy your sensors?! The Bosch and Denso sensors are like $60 each, for future reference.

In addition to failing sensors, things like vacuum leaks and HG leaks can also cause O2 sensor codes. Do you have any other symptoms aside from the the SES light?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The need for a turn up causes 95% of all O2 codes on these trucks, replacing the O2 sensors but not the spark plugs and spark plug wires will not clear the O2 codes because the O2 code is caused by worn out spark plugs and wires.
You need a tune up.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Spike is correct.
You need to have the plugs and wires all changed first.

If you don't own a code scanner get on.
Then reset all the codes and drive it around,.

If you go 40 miles or more without a code, then take it back into NYS emissions and get it retested.

You need to go 40 or more miles with no light.

I only put in Bosch sensors.

Please post the codes you are getting up to this thead and people will help you out.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Frank, PM me, I'm in Queens and have a code scanner/ can take a look if you'd like.

- H.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM
5th Gear
Default reply to NYS emissions test failure

thanks to all the replies. I do not know the codes but will call and get them in the morning from the shop. they charged me 156/sensor and labor.
I most likely need a good tune up. don't have the cash right now but will bring it in tomorrow morning to discuss a tune up, spark plug replacement.

thanks

Frank

Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
5th Gear

TC and ABS and downhill light also comes on while the car is driving - without applying the breaks. Also just fixed the power steering hose and the pump which was leaking. do not believe these are related but wanted to share all going on with the truck. drove upstate NY this weekend and had no issues with the truck or symptoms other than the lights.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Where to begin?

Your ABS, TC and downhill lights coming on are known as the three amigos. Extremely common. Most, if not all of us have suffered from it. Pretty simple fix, depending on where you go. Dealer will tell you that you need a $2000 assembly to fix the issue. Most of us have done it ourselves for about $20 in supplies and a Saturday afternoon. PM me for more information.

As a NYS inspector,I can tell you for a fact, when you fail, you should receive a 10 day extension and a rejection notice indicating which area of emissions you failed. Have your shop give you every single code they pull. Or, seeing you are already paying them, just have them fix it.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank you got hosed on the o2's man. I know that sucks to hear but for around $260 you could have bought all 4 of them yourself and they really are not that hard to replace, angles are a little of a pain but thats. Im from Pa and inspection in Pa is just like NY. My ex's car had Cat issues and after changing them 2 times and the computer I bought a handheld that could erase codes. I pulled into the garage erased the codes and passed with no questions asked. Dgi is right you get 10 days to fix it and get it back. The 3 Amigos fix is really man and parts I were $50 or $60 with you doing it. At the top of the first what is called a sticky (aka a how to guide) with pictures that walks you right through it.

Quick Reply: Failed NYC Emission Test - Replace 02Sensors