Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing Transmission? Here are the symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Failing Transmission? Here are the symptoms

Hi all. Been a while (3-4 months).

Anyhow, back in November, I changed out my transfer case. Used a buddy's lift, still took 10 hours, and we still screwed up the cable routing for the Hi-N-Low selector, so we just put it in 4Hi-Unlocked and then disconnected both the shift and lock cables (for the time being).

The failing transfer case probably took out my front drive shaft or vice versa, so that was replaced with a new one rather than another one from the junkyard 6-8 weeks ago.

Shortly after it was all back together, the transmission started momentarily slipping when in "D" and shifting from what appears to be 3rd to 4th (overdrive, right?). Once it has slipped, it doesn't do it again at any speed until I come to a complete stop and launch again. It usually happens around 30mph, depending on how hard I get on it. The slipping can be minimal and almost unnoticeable in terms of duration and "jerk" if I am accelerating slowly, becoming more noticeable the harder the acceleration thru the gears,

I can completely defeat the slippage by starting in 3rd, getting up to speed (30-45mph depending upon the traffic situation), then momentarily taking my foot off the accelerator and shifting into D then accelerating again.

FYI, prior to the transfer case swap out, about 6 months before, I had a torque converter that was dragging or not fully disengaging as it should have doing at around 30mph, so I dropped the tranny pan and the plate holding all the solenoids and replaced whichever solenoid controlled the TC pump(?) and apparently fixed that problem.

Not knowing or caring to know much about automatic transmission operation (when I was in grad school, Steve Jobs gave a seminar/chat on computer engineering, and being the savant/philosopher/Zen master he was, started by stating that the computer (hardware) engineer was going to be the automatic transmission tech of the '80s -- yeah, I'm old-ish: a little scientist, a little black magician, maybe even a little god-like, but someone who would never go hungry for lack for work; since then, I have never wanted to crack the case of an automatic transmission), I am wondering whether I have a deep-inside-the-case mechanical issue (shifting is effected with bands, right?) or whether it might be electrical-mechanical, i.e., solenoid issue.

Any thoughts of what my symptoms might mean would be most appreciated.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

i know little to nothing about transmissions. however, on my son's '01 D2 the sprague(sp) clutch broke internally and now he has to start in first gear and then manually shift upward as he drives. the transmission works as intended, up shifting and downshifting, until he comes to a complete stop. then he has to start back in 1st gear again.

not attempting to fearmonger, but this may be where you are headed. of course, you could just have low fluid or the wrong fluid in the transmission, as well.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks. Sounds similar process, but mine is just a modest slip right now.

I am using Dexron III/IV (the Walmart house brand stuff as that's what people say to use), haven't checked the level in a while, so maybe I'll do that tonight.

Would too much fluid cause slipping as much as too little. When I check/fill, I do it with only the front axle on jackstands, which would tip the vehicle back and allow me to put in too much fluid, right?

Old 04-11-2023, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Depending on the ramp angle, you might get too much fluid that way. I'd check it on level surface if you can.

https://www.roverparts.com/techtips/...luid_level.cfm