Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan is on as soon as engine starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007 | 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Default RE: Fan is on as soon as engine starts

ORIGINAL: The Image

I was referring to the radiator fan in this thread, however in another thread I was referring to my heater blowing hot and cold even though coolant is full.

A further development is after a 100 mile trip, it's running too hot. Not checked water level yet.

I'm sure all these things are related. Hope it's not the engine. Could it be?

When you say engine fan, are you talking about the fan driven by the engine or the electric fans in front of the radiator. If it is the one driven by the engine, replace your fan clutch. Get a genuine one becuase aftermarket ones havea tendency to lock more than they should. They way they work is, being filled with fluid, as the fluid heats, it causes the fan to slip less. When they go out, the fan is locked into the pulley at all temperatures and RPM's. It will cause your fan to come apart and go through the hood.

If your truck is staying hot, the fan will stay locked. Check your coolant level frequently and might even have your radiator replaced later on. With the heater ( no heat) problem and your fan combination, it tells me you are loosing coolant. If you find this to be true, get it checked and fixed quick.

Old 12-28-2007 | 06:15 PM
Team Owner

I dont understand why the fan will come apart if the clutch locks up. The fan is designed to turn at any speed. If your climbing a steep grade in low gear and it is 120 degrees out the engine is going to get hot and then the fan is going to lock and then explode? Horse hockey.
I have been a truck driver for 15 years and have had more than one clutch fan go bad on my truck and the only thing that happens is the fan runs all the time, it is very noisy and the engine runs cold. And this happend once with a steel blade fan and again with a plastic fan.
I just have a really hard time believing that the fan will explode. I have to believe that there would be all kinds of lawsuits and I also trust that engineers would factor this in.
I just do not think that there are people allover the world driving their Rover with a fan blade stuck in the hood.

Old 12-28-2007 | 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy

if they read this, they will respond and tell you.

Not as big of a problem with the diesels, but it happens.

FYI, I was ASE certified to work on Cat engines 12 years ago.

Old 12-28-2007 | 07:05 PM
Team Owner

So you are familure with the Cat 3116? I put 450,000 on mine and then 500,000 on my Cummins ICX, much prefured the Cat. It didnt care what I did to it. I ran it with the front of the radiator clogged with leaves, temp gauge was pegged for a week. I never ONCE broke down to where I couldnt get home.
The Cummins was a different story, it left me stranded about every 30k with a ruptured fuel line. I would leak INTO the crankcase and cause it to overfill and then it would smoke out the exhaust and then die. And of course the ECU would shut it down 30 sec after a fault come up, it sucked.
I have been through 4 trucks and all had Cats except my Frieghtliner and Cat is by far hands down the better powerplant.

Old 12-29-2007 | 02:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Cat engines are great, but they messed up with the C-15. It tends to sludge up for no reason on extended drains. Doesn't happen to all of them either. But yeah, I love cats. I dropped twin 3208's in my boat a few years ago and never had the slightest hiccup.

Old 01-01-2008 | 12:25 PM
|
Drifting

The radiator is only 6 months old so unlikely to be that. Can't see any noticable signs of coolant leaking. One thing I have noticed thjough is that my fan belt is slipping a lot, especially in wet weather. Could a slipping fan belt be the cause? How easy is it to tighten a fan belt or should I just get a new one. Current one squeals like hell in wet weather especially when on a slow tight turn.

Old 01-01-2008 | 05:08 PM
Team Owner

I would just replace the belt. If the fan/water pump is not turning fast enough the engine will run hot and the fan will run more.

Old 01-02-2008 | 05:37 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling

That's more likely to be your power steering drive belt than the alternator belt if it's squealing while turning the steering to full lock. Check the power steering fluid reservoir ASAP or you might risk wrecking the PAS pump.

If your thermostat is stuck open your engine (and therefore the heater) will run cold until the engine is put under load, like climbing a long or steep hill or towing a heavy load. If it's stuck open but not fully open, towing or hillclimbing may make the engine overheat, or at least make the temp gauge show hotter than it should. Either way, replace the stat as they're pence to buy and easy to fit (10 mins max).

Cheers,

Old 01-02-2008 | 07:10 AM
Drifting

Yes fan will explode when viscous coupling is seized. I had that issue and fan exploded took out the maf,intake tube, upper and lower shroud, went through hood, battery box, radiator. make sure coupling is not locked on if it is replace immediately.

Old 01-05-2008 | 06:18 AM
|
Drifting

That sounds a sober option. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fan is on as soon as engine starts