Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Father of a Disco owner who needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Father of a Disco owner who needs help

Hey everyone. My son just bought a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. He loved it the first day he had it. Until he went to get it checked for emissions to get it in his name. He had the problem with no voltage to the obd2 port. He had to remove a bunch of hacked in wires for extra power ports. It blew a bunch of fuses. He replaced the fuses. Now it will not start and it wont shift out of park.
I have searched and read the forums. He has brake lights. He does not have turn signals. He has tried the key in the door lock and unlock 3 times. I am a mechanic but have not really worked on Land Rovers. Add to that he is stationed at Kirtland AirForce base in Albuquerque New Mexico, and I am in Pa. If anyone is close by to him and could maybe take a quick look at it and see if they see something obvious causing his issue I would really appreciate. He does not have much money obviously on E-3 military pay.
I will be buying one as soon as I get a good deal on one here in Pa, we intend to build them together ( at the same time anyway). I work at a garage and I am a welder/fabricator as well and would be more than willing to help anyone out here in Pa that needs a hand
Thanks from a frustrated Dad

Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Mudding

I think I might know of somebody here in Albuquerque that can look at it. I just need to get in touch with them again. I'll let you know if they are willing to help out your son with his truck.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I cant help with electrical stuff, but I will give him a bump.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://macassemble.com/lrm/discovery...20Diagrams.pdf

May take you a few hours (or days depending how bad it is) but grab a multimeter and start tracing using the diagram above. Check all fuses (internal and under hood).

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Guys, would that be a case similar to mine where there was an aftermarket security kill switch installed. Car won't start without the key plugged in. To do it, they do I know not what with the regular security systems. Maybe when it was sold they simply took it out and tried to wire it back originally without having it reprogrammed?

We thought about taking mine out but decided it wasn't worth the risk of it killing the whole system.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM
3rd Gear

I will ask him if it has a aftermarket security system. I do know it ran for the first 2 days with no problems. Until he unhooked the Power outlet the previous owner had hacked into the wiring.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it do when you try to start it?
Does it turn over?
Does it start and die?

If it doesn't turn over, he'll need to track down why. If it does, first thing to check is that it's getting fuel.

With all of the wiring isues he has, anything is possible. It's also possible that the theft alarm has activated, disabling the engine controller.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Rock Crawling

That sounds like he may have removed an after market theft deterrent. If so he may have to plug it back in.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Have him look at all the wires he chopped out.
Look for dangling wires of the same colour.
That would be the disable for the theft unit.
Theft unit probably disables some circuit.

The Rover does have anti theft built in, so not sure why someone would add an aftermarket.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Default anti theft

I thought the same thing and took the "key" out of the antitheft not knowing what it was. It is a simple device that cuts power if the key is not in. However it is programmed into the vehicle. Mine has one that says silence on the key.

Originally Posted by jfall
Have him look at all the wires he chopped out.
Look for dangling wires of the same colour.
That would be the disable for the theft unit.
Theft unit probably disables some circuit.

The Rover does have anti theft built in, so not sure why someone would add an aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Father of a Disco owner who needs help