Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FEEL HOT AIR from Windshield Vent

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FEEL HOT AIR from Windshield Vent

Hey Gang,
I am feeling all of this warm heat from the windshield vent area. I do not have the air or the heater on. I noticed this before but have never asked anyone what might be causing this. I also noticed that my grey sponge like things under the hood near this area are falling apart. Are these what keeps the heat from gettting into the cabin from the engine? Any ideas what my problem is?
Thanks,
Gordon

Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: FEEL HOT AIR from Windshield Vent

There is a flap in the HVAC system that directs airflow/shuts it off. Age and dirt make the seal bad.

To change the temperature turn on your HVAC and lower the temperature all the way, then turn it off - the air should be the same temp as outside.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Gordon what year is your truck, how many miles on it?
Many of the Disco's, including mine doe the same thing and it has to do with the a/c control unit.
Rover has been aware of this for years, they even put an updated control unit but it didn't help.
This next month, I am going to rig up a heater hose by pass to cut of the hot water during the summer.
Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Our 03 had the same problem new from the dealer. It took the local dealer 3 or 4 tries to repair but they finally got it fixed. When my wife returns with the vehicle later this week I'll pull out the reciepts and see exactly what they replaced.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Good, I wili be curious as to what they did.
Mike

Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey all,
My Discovery is a 2001 and has 55,000 miles. Keep me posted. It is annoying to always have the warm air coming out of the defroster area vent. Gordon

Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling

My wife has the behicle in Atlanta for the week and will be returning Friday. I'll post as soon as she gets home and I can read the shop receipts.
It took them a few attempts to correct it. We live in South Carolina where it's very hot and humid. I was ready to trade it in before that got it fixed.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 AM
Drifting

I am feeling all of this warm heat from the windshield vent area. I do not have the air or the heater on. I noticed this before but have never asked anyone what might be causing this. I also noticed that my grey sponge like things under the hood near this area are falling apart. Are these what keeps the heat from gettting into the cabin from the engine? Any ideas what my problem is?
Try setting the system to ECON with the fan speed to zero before shutting the heater off. I had the same problem of air flowing through the vents while the heater is off and found that this worked

Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling

My solution to this was exactly what Aquaholic suggested. Thereseems to be a direct correlationtowhatever the selectedtemperature was when the system was turned off.

It appears as though the cabin temp sensor (still operational even when the system is "off")continues to influencethe "auto"climate control based on the last-selected temp. In other words, youmay have the heat offwhen it's65 degrees outsidebut, if your temp settingwas at 70 when youlast used the heat, the climate controlisgoing to try toraise your cabin temp by 5 degrees.

Obviously, this is some sort of malfunction between the cabin temp sensor, climate control and/or the vent flaps but, short of having the system repaired/replaced, lowering the temp before system shut-down seems to be a pretty good workaround. It should really only be an issue as you transition from winter to spring. Once the outside temps go above any heat setting you'd select, the temp sensorshould be satisfied.

It sounds like Skram's suggestion is similar in theory and makes sense....since ECON will make a "closed loop" out of the system.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

There have been a couple of TSB written from Rover and they will be the first to tell you there is no easy fix. It is the control unit, they quit trying to reprogram it in late 02 and what you have is what you got.
The only fix is to by-pass the heater hose and hook them back up in the winter, at least that way you can let outside air in with out the heat.
Mike

Quick Reply: FEEL HOT AIR from Windshield Vent