Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flare reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender flare reconditioning

I know this has been discussed before, but I'd like your thoughts on the following:

I recently purchased a 03 Disco in good condition, but there's somediscoloration and deterioration on the fender flares. They've developed a rough, gray texture in spots that I imagine is due to UV aging.

I plan to remove most of the UV damaged layer with Scotch Brite pads. Follow that up with some light sanding with a very fine grit wet/dry sand paper to remove any remaining pitting and, hopefully, get down to good black plastic. Finally, apply some Mother's Back to Black to the entire flare to bring it all back to the original appearance, or close thereto.

Has anyone tried this technique?

A previous thread recommended removing the flares, prepping them and then repainting with Krylon Fusion or similar product. That thread is a couple of years old. Any followup on how it's looking lately? If the result is likely to be significantly better than my technique I'd be happy to do it, assuming removing the flares isn't too difficult.

Thanks,

Syzygy

Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fender flare reconditioning

I went a different route with my fender flare problem. I went down to my Napa store and picked up a can of Hurculiner, a paint in bed liner material. I then proceeded to paint my fender flares and the lower 1/3 of my doors. My fender flares look great and I don't have to worry with rock chips and scrapes on my doors.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Goose_Cat - Could you place some photos here so we can see what it looks like???

Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

All I did was use some black shoe polish and it works great. No sanding or masking for spray paint, and it's held the color/finish just fine. Here's how mine turned out. I actually did this again today for a friend of mine when he brought his truck over for an oil change. Takes about 15 minutes to do all 4 flares.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

I am going the Krylon Fusion route, sanded the rough spots down, got it masked off and about to paint.

I'll post back on the results.......

Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to have issue with the picture upload. Let me do some research in to the process.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
4wd Low

I tried the sanding and the Back to Black route with less than stellar results. Sanding just wouldn't get rid of all the gray, which continued to show through after a couple of coats of Mother's Back to Black. The flares certainly looked better, but not as good as I might have hoped.

I've broken down and purchased a couple of cans of Krylon Fusion in satin black. I'll try one of the flares to see how it comes out and post the pic.

<a little while later>

Here's the pic. It's just a little too glossy for my taste. I'll try the Krylon Fusion flat black on the next one and post the pic next week so anyone interested can make their own comparison.

FYI - masking is a pain in the backside. Next time I'll go for the autobody masking tape that conforms to curves. And I'll use a stool. I'm not as young and flexible as I once was.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: brooksa

I am going the Krylon Fusion route, sanded the rough spots down, got it masked off and about to paint.

I'll post back on the results.......
I did this with all of my plastic trim 2 years ago. Still looks good. Just make sure to get all of the debris off first.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
4wd Low

OK. Finally got it the way I want it.

1. Thoroughly sandedwith 220 and then 320 wet/dry.
2. Wiped down with clean rag and ammonia to remove sanding residue and any Armor-All, wax, bird poop, etc.
3. Several light coats of Krylon Fusion flat black. SEVERAL. LIGHT. COATS.

Things to keep in mind:

1. When you think you've sanded everything to the same finish, you haven't. Get the 320 and do it again.
2. When you think you have everything masked off nicely, you don't. Check it again. Masking tape and plastic sheeting is cheap.
3. Ammonia bottles are apparently designed to losen their caps without human intervention.

Actually it turned out better than I'd hoped.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great, I did the back to black treatment today and I realized I am going to have to do a bit of sanding to get any type of good results. I am saving this topic and I will use your method when I have another go at restoring the flairs.

Nice write up.

Quick Reply: Fender flare reconditioning