Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions About 98 LR Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Few Questions About 98 LR Disco

Hey Guys, Still new to my 98 LR Disco. It has Been Running Fine, And it still does. Just a few questions.

Lately when I start it, it has been Making a Knocking Noise, Once It gets warmed up it is not as bad but still there. It has been running Fine No problems. Any Ideas of what that might be??

What Grade Gas do you guys Run in the 4.0?? Would low Grade Gas cause engine noise?

And one other thing, When i am driving it drives Good, but when I hit 60mph it seems to have a minor death wobble when I go over bumps. I hit a bump and The Steering wheel shakes back and forth quickly, but only if i am over 55 or 60mph. Feels like it needs new front shocks as well.

Any Info would be Great, Thanks Guys. I Love the SUV, just want to get it back to normal and running good.

Last edited by marks500; 01-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Mudding

Always use 92+ octane in your rover. It is required and can foul a lot of things up if not used. If you're using low grade fuel, your engine is likely pinging, hence the knocking.

When was the last oil change? Have you gone through Disco Mike's 60K service? If not, do so!

Sounds like you need an alignment as well as the tires balanced if you're having issues at highway speeds.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

knocking = engine sludge (may never go away completely - don't rev it on startup)
I change oil every 3k add cdr engine detergent every time.(I pulled my pan & cleaned everything)

above 90 octane mandatory - not suggested like some engines.

death wobble= worn front swivel bearings every time - medium easy for a mechanic.
minor shaking could be rotors, wheel balance, bent rim, tire tread seperation, etc.

luck,greg

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Drifting

I just bought the LR last week.. I filled up with Reg. Gas last week and Been running on that since...Its almost out now, I will try some Premium Gas this next Fill up. I did an oil change soon as I got it(10w30), I added some Oil treatment Yesterday,and From the Records in the Car they have been done for a while every 3k miles. What is Discos mikes 60k mi Service? lol Like I said I just bought it, and still new here.

So is it possible the Knocking is From the Cheap Gas? I mean it just started in the past few days. Just wanted to find out what it is and try and fix it. Hope its not anything major, I love driving it.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Mudding

Become familiar with the "search" function on the forum. There is some great tech in the archives.

60K Service: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19776

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Knocking Death Wobble Gas

Is it knocking or ticking ? The lifters tick on a lot of Discos just due to age or sludge. If it is rod knock or piston slap, then you might need to worry. On the death wobble, I have had that and it is scary. I replaced my steering damper - which is like a shock absorber on the steering and it helped, but it could very well be worn swivel bearings. Don't use regular gas. I had the sticky exhaust valve problem and I believe it was because the previous owner used regular gas. Now (after the valve job), it's only Chevron or Shell premium, no cheapo stuff.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Well here's my 2 cents.........best to use premium fuel. How cold is it where you live ?, you may want to use a good 5w40 synthetic oil for winter use...that may help the start up noise. As for the death wobble......SOMETHING is worn or loose in the frt end, mine was a loose panhard rod, you need to get the frt end off the ground and start investigating before it gets worse. Let us know how it goes

Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Drifting

The Temps here are up and down one week it doesnt get above Frezzing then the Next week we are int he 60's. Since The knocking has starting it hasnt been that cold. I drove it again today and the Knocking is mostly on start up, once I get driving it quites a lot, But its always there just not that loud. I have started Running the Premium Gas in it, But that hasnt made a Difference. It almost Kinda Sounds like I may have an exahust leak, I hear something Up under the truck. I mean It drives good and Has not had any loss of power. Where should I start First about this Knocking? I just want to get it Fixed and Hopefully not have to do major repairs. I know a good bit about Cars, Just not Familar with the 4.0 v8.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the exhaust leaking. Try tightning the bolts up on the manifold where the pipe connects. Mine come lose fairly often and it sounds just like a rod knocking.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Could be the exhaust leaking. Try tightning the bolts up on the manifold where the pipe connects. Mine come lose fairly often and it sounds just like a rod knocking.
OK cool thanks, I am gonna have to check that out. Was your Knocking noise Louder at start up when your Bolts where loose? I can hear what sounds Like exhaust, You know the noise I am talking about when you have a hole in your Muffer, That noise. I already checked the muffler so i know its not that.. But I will check that tomorrow and see what I find. I hope that is what it is.

Quick Reply: Few Questions About 98 LR Disco