Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions About 98 LR Disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a rubber mallet and tap your cats. If it rattles, it needs to be replaced. It can sound like a knock and will get better when the metal gets hot and expands. If they are ok, I would suggest you check your oil pressure cold at idle, hot at idle and hot at 2K RPM. should be somewhere in the upper 30's. I had a knock similar to yours when I got mine. It had 15W40 in it and I dropped to 10W30, it went away. This only happened when it was below 40 out. Does yours do it worse when it is colder?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echo it could be an exhaust leak, sounds just like a lifter. If you use a heavy enough leather glove, you can feel around down there before it gets to hot and feel for a leak. It will blow against your hand. Feel in between the manifold and the head. Easy fix if that is it.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went outside and I hit the Cats and Muffler with my hand a few times before I got out the rubber mallet and they sounded ok, a little rattling but was probably me hitting the metal..lol... I wiggled everything around to see if anything was loss and it war pretty sturdy.I lifted the Hood so I could try and get a better Idea of where it was knocking. I started it up and there as no Knock, I was like what the ****....lol... I dont understand it, no knocking at all and I did nothing. Why would there be no knocking at Idle start up now?? But I did Find an exahust leak on the left Side(Drivers Side) The Round Muffler/Cat has a Small leak around the Rim, Like where is separated a little From the Round Rim if you know what I mean. It is so small I can probably Patch it up for the Time Being.

Is there Two Cats on this Thing or what? One the Passanger Side I see the Cat. Converter but on the Other side(Drivers Side) There is a Round thing, seems to be a muffler. Then after that there is one big muffler and then one small muffler in the back. Seems like a Lot of exhaust Componets down there.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy

The things in front are the cats, the middle big one is a muffler, and the rear is a resonator. An exhaust leak in a cat means it is going bad. Magnaflow makes high flow replacements for around $80 a piece. Do them as a pair, replace with OEM, or the whole downpipe.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Are there two Different Kind of Cats on my LR? One is the Normal Oval shape with the Rigid Sheild and the other side is like a Round Muffler? Just confused on that?

Also any Ideas why the knocking would have stoped?

Last edited by marks500; 02-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy

Yup, 2 different sizes.

Is it warmer out?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Yup, 2 different sizes.

Is it warmer out?
A little bit, around 50 degrees. The weather here is up and down. I am gonna drive it around town today and Ill let you know how that goes. So many things I need to do to it... and all I wanna do is drive...lol

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Drifting

Well back to my front End Problem, Like I said earlier when I get to 60 mph it The front end starts to shake, Not as bad as Death wobble. Not enough to make my loose control but enough to where I dont like it...lol.

Anyways When I am at low speads or even higher speeds, when I go over bumps in the road the left side it makes a Noise. Sounds like something is Hitting, or something Bottoming out. Hard to explain the noise, almost like two peices of metal hitting together. Almost like a Bad shock or something.

My question is would this be a part of the Minor Death wobble? What should I look at first? I am hopping that both of these problems are related so I can do one fix and be done with it.

BTW, We finally got a good bit of snow down here near atlanta, Roads got pretty bad. I took her out for the first time in the snow. I was very surprised. The Best SUV I have ever drove in the snow. Didnt loose control one time, heck I tried to make it loose Control and I could not. People were in the Ditches and all off the road, Not me... Anyways my point is these things are BA in the snow!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Drifting

anyone???

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

there are so many parts in the frt end that we cant do more than guess at the problem. If you have the ability to get the frt end off the ground you can then start to determine whats wrong.......ball joints, worn bushings, loose bolts, bad shocks / springs, steering damper, swivel ball brgs , loose suspension parts .....mine was a loose panhard rod. If you cant jack the vehicle up the you need to take it to a ....and here's the tough part...trustworthy shop....it's not likely the whole thing is worn out so don't let them just start throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: Few Questions About 98 LR Disco