Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions About 98 LR Disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check or just replace all of your bushings. Mine made that clunk sound while turning. Bushings replaced, problem solved. I got lucky and had bought a poly kit someone found in a scrapper. It had everything I needed for $50>

but as stated above, it could be anything. Get it on a rack and check it.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and Buddy Of Mine are Gonna Jack it up tomorrow and Investigate it, Thanks Guys Sorry to be a Pain in the A**...lol.. I just got this thing, Before I bought it, I test Drove it and it Ran Great. A few days later it starts having all these problems... One side of me wants to keep it and the other side tells me to sell it.... I guess I will see what I can find and let you guys know what I Find out.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Camel Trophy

First thing to check is wheel play. Shake it at the 12 and 6 position and then at the 3 and 9. play in each direction means something different.

Look at all of the bushings. If the steering box or something has been leaking right onto a bush, it is most likely gone. Steering boxes leak all of the time, and the panhard bushing always gets wet.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Well I just got back from checking out the Front End. Most of the Noise was on the Drivers Side but I check out both. We Jacked it up and Felt For movement at 12&6 as well as 9&3. It was solid, No play. Took of the wheels and Inspected and Everything that I could see or get my hands on looked and Feels Tight.I didnt have time to tear it down and Look at internal parts. So I was checking out the Shocks or struts, whatever is on there. When I push down on the front End on the Drivers side it goes down Very easily, I could pretty much Bottom it out just by pushing down on it. The passanger side seemed a little more stiff. Could this be part of my problem?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

YES ! It can .
When you push the frt end down it should have some resistance AND come right back up without being bouncy or "spongy"....bad shocks can certainly effect the ride and handling, you can tell more about the shock after you get it out.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Yes its def. Spongy... All I have to do is put my weight on the one side and it goes down easy.... I guess I will get some Shocks and put them on and go from there. Might as well try the easy Obvious fix before I dig further. Are those pretty easy to put on?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy

front shocks are easy. You have to remove the shock towers. I just jacked up the front and let the axle hang. Removed the shock towers and put the new shocks in. 20 min per side. The fun part is trying to compress the shocks to get the towers back on..

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Yeah I figured Compressing them would be the hard part...Kinda Figured the shock towers had to come off... I guess a second pair of hands could make it a little bit easier. Whats the best place to get some Shocks? I was searching Local Auto Part stores and all I could Find is Monroe shocks for 45-50 bucks.

On the other hand I found a guy that had a 98 Rover in his back yard tonight and Let me take some parts off for pretty cheap, Got all them little Nick nack parts I wanted. Also Got some New Fog lights on the Brackets for 15 bucks a piece... Yeah I know the stock fog lights are just about useless but I wanted them.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Camel Trophy

I got a full set of bilsteins on e-bay for about $100. I love them. I think the buy it now is about $270 for a full set. There are pro comp shocks, but they won't last as well. I think Spike is running the monroes and seems to like them.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Drifting

When I first bought my disco the kid who owned it let his friend borrow it and he put 87 gas in it. It was knocking when I test drove it. He filled the tank up with 82 gas and drove it about a half tank and the knocking went away. put 92 in it as soon as you can and some fuel additive should help the knocking.

Last edited by davidstereo; 02-18-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Few Questions About 98 LR Disco