Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions before service.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions before service.

I have a 2004 Discovery 2 thats around 96k miles and I am about to perform the tasks on Mikes list. Before I do that I have a few questions. I need new brakes, I drive 90% of the time on the road for work city driving. My low beam is out and I am trying to find the best replacement for said light. I also need to replace my condenser fan because it sounds like a cricket chirping and I read about using a fan out of a corolla, how accurate is that? Other than those issues the Rover runs like a champ. I have the ticking noise that comes in and out but I have really had zero mechanical issues. I really appreciate any advice I can get for this undertaking.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First Welcome..and Well when it comes to chirping and clicking noises..first things first. Check that front driveshaft and make sure you have three visable grease fittings. Not just one. If you do grease them up real good making sure you get grease out of all the caps, and if it does not have 3 get it rebuilt and balanced NOW with greasable fittings and a new center ball kit. Any driveline shop can do it. As far as the corolla thing...thats a new one to me. But never now. Maybe someone else has tried that. Akabono pads for those brakes. Can't be beat.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by texmbr
First Welcome..and Well when it comes to chirping and clicking noises..first things first. Check that front driveshaft and make sure you have three visable grease fittings. Not just one. If you do grease them up real good making sure you get grease out of all the caps, and if it does not have 3 get it rebuilt and balanced NOW with greasable fittings and a new center ball kit. Any driveline shop can do it. As far as the corolla thing...thats a new one to me. But never now. Maybe someone else has tried that. Akabono pads for those brakes. Can't be beat.
Thanks! I've actually replaced the U-Joints and centering ball within the first month of owning the vehicle. I read up on a few must do things, and I figured out of all of them that would be the most helpful.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11126
That references the Carolla fan. Thanks for the tip on the brakes I am going to check them out.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Speaking of rebuilding the drive shaft... where's the best place for parts? Is there a site that offers a rebuild kit or a set of U-joints? Also for the center ball, is that just as necessary to replace as new u-joints or will just replacing the u-joints get me by?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by akanigit
I have a 2004 Discovery 2 thats around 96k miles and I am about to perform the tasks on Mikes list. Before I do that I have a few questions. I need new brakes, I drive 90% of the time on the road for work city driving. My low beam is out and I am trying to find the best replacement for said light. I also need to replace my condenser fan because it sounds like a cricket chirping and I read about using a fan out of a corolla, how accurate is that? Other than those issues the Rover runs like a champ. I have the ticking noise that comes in and out but I have really had zero mechanical issues. I really appreciate any advice I can get for this undertaking.
Any lightbulb will be fine really. For the extra few bucks, the Sylvania Silverstar (they have a few different levels, I got the best) were literally a night and day difference from the regular bulbs. I don't have them in the Rover, but put them (beams and fogs) in my summer beater Saab convertible.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Speaking of rebuilding the drive shaft... where's the best place for parts? Is there a site that offers a rebuild kit or a set of U-joints? Also for the center ball, is that just as necessary to replace as new u-joints or will just replacing the u-joints get me by?
I did some searching on the forums for the type of part that I needed and just ordered from NAPA.
**DII Front driveshaft rebuild Part #'s U-joints are Precision 344 (3 required) and Centering ball is Precision 617 (1 required)**

Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I did some searching on the forums for the type of part that I needed and just ordered from NAPA.
**DII Front driveshaft rebuild Part #'s U-joints are Precision 344 (3 required) and Centering ball is Precision 617 (1 required)**
Search some more and you'll see Neapco PDQ 1-0005 is available from Adanced Auto. Forget what the centering ball kit #'s are. Reference a '93 Volvo 240 for these parts.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Silvana Ultra's and like you said "night and day" difference. I really like them, but a little pricey.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case anyone missed it, here's a quote from one of the last few posts in that thread :

"Ok, for the record, a Toyota Corolla fan will not fit on a D2."

Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Overlanding

I went by Autozone and picked up some bulbs. While I was there I got them to scan and it came back with these codes.
p0305
p0174
p0171
p0734
p1174
p1172
I am guessing changing plugs and wires and cleaning my MAF might resolve these issues.

Quick Reply: A few questions before service.