Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FILTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Battery alternato issue

Hi Spike555.
You need to replace your belt soon or you will have serious problems.Did you notice all the cracks?
Regards
Marius

Old 02-24-2008 | 03:36 PM
Drifting

Thank you very much Spike555. Just after learning about the position of the beltgive me
agood move. It is been so dificult these many days with this cold weather and the car not working that just learning about the routing from you bring me relief. I will take the car with the pics from you to my mechanic so he can fixed it.
Thank you again for taking the time to check my pics,take yours and give the inf.
I will let you know how things came out.
Chicago is looking better today.

Old 02-24-2008 | 04:56 PM
|
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: Savannah

Hi Spike555.
You need to replace your belt soon or you will have serious problems.Did you notice all the cracks?
Regards
Marius
Yes I know it needs to be replaced, it is sqealing but I dont have the money to replace it right now.
So as soon as I have the cash...but thank you for pointing that out to me, I know that not everyone looks at there belt like they should.

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:28 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Your belt routing is wrong. It goes over the alt, down under the water pump, back over the power steering pump, under the crank pully, over the belt tensioner, over the A/C and then back over thr alt.

Based on the pictures of this serpentine bely, it needs to be replaced last month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No more then one crack per running inch of belt or you are looking for trouble.

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:57 PM
|
Team Owner

I know Mike, but I dont have the money right now, $35 might as well be one million. It has been sqealing for about a month, I told my wife that ifit breaks to just pull over and park and then call me.
Wish I could fix it, but I cant. It sucks.

Old 02-24-2008 | 06:07 PM
Overlanding

hi Mike,

is this in the photos above a clutch fan you where telling me the otherday?

Panos - Greece

Old 02-24-2008 | 06:41 PM
|
Team Owner

Yes Panos, that silver thing in the middle of the fan is a viscous clutch. It is full of fluid and it has a bi-mettalic spring in the middle of it.
It turns at a slow speed when the engine is running and when the heat from the radiator gets hot enough the spring locks's and then thefan turns at the same RPM as the engine thus pulling more air through the radiator and cooling the engine.
90% of the time the spring is not locked and the engine stays cool by the slow turning fan.
The bad thing about this type of fan is that it takes horse power from the engine even when it is not locked and by doing so it takes more gas because the engine has more work to do.
But it is a simple and cheap design that has been proven for decades.
Your engine does not have one.

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:58 PM
Drifting

Hello. This is Jairocol from Chicago. I been working on the batteryalternator issue and after replacing Battery few times and replacing the alternator I found out that my serpentine belt was routed wrong. Thanks to Spike 555 that sent me the pics I was able to routed it correctly.
My question now is that I still not seeing "good voltage " thru the battery post or the alternator. I am measuring 14.2 volts thru thealternatorwith the engine on.
Should be reading higher voltage on the alternator or it is ok. orI still having more issues.

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:03 PM
|
Team Owner

I think that your voltage is fine, how much do you think you need? It's the amps that run everything and the regulator will only allow the alt to put out what is needed and not more because it will fry everything.

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:55 PM
Drifting

It happens that before routing the belt I was seeing around 12.5 v and 13.5 volts.
my concern is that I might have more battery issues.I have an small car Hond civic that reads 16 Volts between the battery posts while the engine is on.
I hope it is ok.
Thank you for your inputs.

Quick Reply: FILTER