Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Blew Part II...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally Blew Part II...

Well I finally got off my *** as i had a free day tuesday and tore down my blown motor. About 4 weeks ago, i was driving and temp went to red so pulled over and she died quietly. Monday night out of bordem i went out and using my daughters truck ..a 2000 DII we hooked up jumpers so i could cycle my truck as see if it would turn over. The day it blew it smelled of burnt so i figured it was toast. The oil was black black but full and the coolent was half gone.... Well after about 5 minutes of cycling, it turned over...not purring but it turned over. let it idel for 2 minutes ...check for smoke, knocks , stalling and anything out of ordinary......nothing . Shut off and ran to auto store in the trusty Volvo and got some rotella and a filter and came back and drained out burnt oil. Was full and black but no water. Changes and re fired up and let run for about 3 minutes...came to temp and stayed, light white smoke and water drops in exhaust. Shut down . Next day had a job cancel so i tore the motor down to the block myself. Took about 6 hours strait. Was a bit of a pain in the *** but not to bad. If it wasnt 96 degrees out and sunny it would have been more pleasent. Never tore a V8 so i was a bit amazed that there is not that many bolts to keep track of. The coil pack was a bitch...what FM designed that one... Everything else was self explanitory..
I now see i have a small leak in the power steering pump..was wondering wher that oil was comming from...Well, what i know now is some FM had this engine rebuilt by another FM as i will explain. The gaskets are new...as i could almost reuse them. there was nuts and bolts missing from all over and the wiring and SAI was a mess. Actually a broken pipe junction hear the pump that had been taped. I also had to remove the heads with the SAI pipes attached as the idiot must not have retapped the adapters when he rebuilt so they wher really loose. When i tried to remove the pipes wher turning and i would have broke them at the flex points. Dont ask how i got them out with them attached as well as the fan and fan cluch... The head bolts i got out with a 3/8 socket wrench and they where all hand tight. a couple where almost finger loose... yea ..wierd... no breaker bar.....maybe the overheat streched them...dont know but i think it was a idiot who did the work. the heads look almost new so i am going to have them checked and see if they wher shaved to much as i had a pescy knock or loud tick that drove me mad...
i checked all the liners and there is no visible signs of slipping..even checked the heads for liner marks like when you put your eye to close to the scope on your rifle as a kid and get a ringer... cylinders still look honed but my friend is comming over next week to give me his opinion. He has built a bunch of race motors. I am pulling the sump this weekend so he can also check the lower bearings. Will see...i already wrote the motor off so lets wait and see... will keep updating as i get more into it..I think if i had a 3/8 air rachet i could have shaved another hour off if not more...I can tell you when i finished i need 3 advill and about 3 coronas ...I was a bit wooped...You need to be built like a monkey to get to some of thoes bolts

The day after my back was killing me....i have though recovered...so much for drivway mechanics...

Lets see if if i have extra parts left over when i put back together...

Attached Thumbnails Finally Blew Part II...-engine-1.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-2.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-3.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-4.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-5.jpg  

Last edited by vandev; 07-22-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default more pics

more pics....

Attached Thumbnails Finally Blew Part II...-engine-6.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-7.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-8.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-9.jpg   Finally Blew Part II...-engine-10.jpg  

Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow, the engine is amazingly clean. Pistons are a little carboned up but I was very impressed with the overall look. Compared to many of the motors that have been featured on the forum that thing looks almost new. Hope it is only a head gasket job for you. Good luck. Phil

Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default it was

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Wow, the engine is amazingly clean. Pistons are a little carboned up but I was very impressed with the overall look. Compared to many of the motors that have been featured on the forum that thing looks almost new. Hope it is only a head gasket job for you. Good luck. Phil

It was...will see how the sump looks...

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
It was...will see how the sump looks...
If the top end is that clean the bottom end will be fine.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sooo..

Originally Posted by lipadj46
If the top end is that clean the bottom end will be fine.
Soo you are thinking like me ....that some Fu$ck wad rebuilt it?? thats my guess as i could almost reuse the gaskets they are so new..... Also the head bolts wher so loose a 9 year old could have taken them out... i used a 3/8 socket set my wife gave me 8 christmas's ago from home depot.. They actually have never let me down...husky i think...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by vandev
Soo you are thinking like me ....that some Fu$ck wad rebuilt it?? thats my guess as i could almost reuse the gaskets they are so new..... Also the head bolts wher so loose a 9 year old could have taken them out... i used a 3/8 socket set my wife gave me 8 christmas's ago from home depot.. They actually have never let me down...husky i think...
How many miles? Your valley gasket look really clean too, mine looked terrible at 100k miles. That is probably the cleanest DII engine I have ever seen. Most are black on the inside, mine was.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That engine has been stripped and cleaned before for sure. It sounds like you can reuse those head bolts - they were never torqued
What's up with that valley gasket?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
That is clean, mine looked like a sludge factory when it blew.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Bundu
What's up with that valley gasket?
looks like coolant mixed with oil

Quick Reply: Finally Blew Part II...