Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found a 2004 discovery 2 hse7

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally found a 2004 discovery 2 hse7

So I finally found a 2004 discovery 2 hse7. Will be picking it up today. It was 5k with 111500 on it. I'm happy but nervous at the same time. This will be the 1st one ever. For the past 7 years I've being with jeeps and have had very good luck with them. I've read quite a few post on these rovers and understand they're very attention needy. As long as it turns out to be worthy like my jeeps I'll be happy. Look forward to picking some of y'alls brains. First thing I did notice is on the cluster the odometer and trip doesn' light up but the rest of the cluster does.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 841 Likes on 612 Posts

Welcome, and good luck. Where are you? Please add your location to your signature or your About Me information.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redleg13fa
So I finally found a 2004 discovery 2 hse7. Will be picking it up today. It was 5k with 111500 on it. I'm happy but nervous at the same time. This will be the 1st one ever. For the past 7 years I've being with jeeps and have had very good luck with them. I've read quite a few post on these rovers and understand they're very attention needy. As long as it turns out to be worthy like my jeeps I'll be happy. Look forward to picking some of y'alls brains. First thing I did notice is on the cluster the odometer and trip doesn' light up but the rest of the cluster does.
I'm located in El paso, Tx. I spent 8 yrs. In the Army. Now work for the railroad.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 1,139 Likes on 787 Posts

I can recommend 1 thing before taking possession go for a good solid drive. Before shutting down listen for ticking, knocking etc. And see if you smell any anti freeze.

The above are all pretty big red flags.

Beyond that do a through once over of all the controls, and diff lock/low range high range shifter. The one on mine was really hard to move until I got in the habit of moving through all the positions every few days

Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Grasshopper

Step 1: Park it and sacrifice a live chicken to the Rover God.

Step 2: Buy an ultragauge

Step 3: Do the inline thermo mod

Step 4: Do the 60k maintenance on the sticky

Step 5: Replace your front drive shaft

Step 6: (optional) If it has running boards, take them off. They look like hell.

Step 7: Keep your doors locked when driving or the pretty girls will just jump in at a red light.

The following users liked this post:
MrHSE7 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
I can recommend 1 thing before taking possession go for a good solid drive. Before shutting down listen for ticking, knocking etc. And see if you smell any anti freeze.

The above are all pretty big red flags.

Beyond that do a through once over of all the controls, and diff lock/low range high range shifter. The one on mine was really hard to move until I got in the habit of moving through all the positions every few days
thank you for the recommendation. I read quite bit on the 03 discovery. I somewhat understood the 04 wasn' as bad as the 03 but does have it' faults as well. I will definitely look over the rover again today.ill try to submit pics today if everything goes the way I'd like it to.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by zuke
Step 1: Park it and sacrifice a live chicken to the Rover God.

Step 2: Buy an ultragauge

Step 3: Do the inline thermo mod

Step 4: Do the 60k maintenance on the sticky

Step 5: Replace your front drive shaft

Step 6: (optional) If it has running boards, take them off. They look like hell.

Step 7: Keep your doors locked when driving or the pretty girls will just jump in at a red light.
where can I find these mods and what exactly do they do? Minus the running boards it doesn' have, and I'll look up the 60k maintenance. What' a good oil to run on these things?

Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I run Rotella T6, but asking what oil do you prefer is about as bad as asking Coke vs Pepsi.

I also don't think the inline thermostat mod is necessary, not saying its bad though. Buy the Ultragauge and keep an eye on temps. If you want to fiddle with it go for it. I replaced my thermostat with the OEM 180*, but left well enough alone.

There's a sticky in the D2 section called "Major Service" that should be done.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 1,139 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Redleg13fa
thank you for the recommendation. I read quite bit on the 03 discovery. I somewhat understood the 04 wasn' as bad as the 03 but does have it' faults as well. I will definitely look over the rover again today.ill try to submit pics today if everything goes the way I'd like it to.
The stuff I indicated as red flags is pretty much any DII's. The 03 and some 04's have an oil pump issue. The rest is just a general check, if switches and other things are not working, it can indicate other problems or a poorly maintained vehicle.

Maintenance is pretty critical to keep up on these.

3 weeks ago I bought my 04, I have have been fixing all the little stuff cooling, stupid throttle body heater leak, electric fan failure, water ingress problem (ongoing) Pacific NW so kinda of critical.

I found a damaged fan blade, and a oil leak in the front of the engine still to be dealt with.

All little stuff, and not outside the costs I expected with a used vehicle.

Even with all that I am going a 2 day about 800km trip a a bunch of other Rover guys this coming weekend as a shakedown run. Should show up any other issues (hopefully none )

Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
???...wouldn't "this end result" actually be a good reason to have the doors...unlocked?

Quick Reply: Finally found a 2004 discovery 2 hse7