Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the 180 TDI thermostat installed! Already notice a difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking Finally got the 180 TDI thermostat installed! Already notice a difference

So I ordered the TDI 180 Degree thermostat from Roversnorth a couple days ago, was very happy with how fast it shipped! Anyways so today was the big day. Sunny warm day was most inviting, so nice to finally see Spring! Before tackling the job I did some research on the forums and on youtube to make sure I knew exactly what to do. I found these 3 videos very useful and I recommend them to anyone who is about to tackle the job for the first time.

I actually did the job in the parking lot of Advance Auto just in case I ran into any problems and needed anything else. I purchased 2 jugs of Peak 50/50 coolant antifreeze and 4 standard hose clips to replace the stock ones. Everyone said these are easier to work with anyways. I started off by removing the plastic panel inside the passenger front wheel well, as seen in the 3rd video. Made it much easier to reach the lowest most hose on the bottom of the thermostat. Removed the 3 hoses, drained the coolant and removed the old thermostat. One thing I noticed about the thermostat was that is was not the usual dark orange/brown color that Ive seen in alot of posted pictures. It had some discoloring but for a truck with 138k I expected it to more closely resemble what everyone elses thermostats look like. No big deal, but made me wonder if it was changed out early on..... So after that I installed the 180 TDI thermostat, put everything back together and filled the system with fresh coolant and did the bleeding. I took Zacks advice and removed the coolant expansion tank from the housing and lifted it up at an angle to let all the air bubbles out. After that I put everything back together and started the truck and let it idle for several minutes. Average temps have improved:
Ideling temp: 195.8-197
City stop and go temps: 195.8
Highway temps; roughly 188-190

The other thing I noticed about the truck is that it is quieter now, when I started it up I almost could not even tell that is was running. I still have an engine tick and my rear brakes are loud at the moment cause they need to be changed (waiting for kit to come in the mail) but the truck itself runs quieter and smoother. Anybody else notice this? At any rate I do want to thank everyone on here, including Zack for your help and the access to the information I needed to get this job done on my own. Thanks so much.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I should stop panicking about the temps on mine then. It puts up roughly same numbers.

194 idle.
197 highway
197-201 hills/traffic.

This is on 70* day.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
Maybe I should stop panicking about the temps on mine then. It puts up roughly same numbers.

194 idle.
197 highway
197-201 hills/traffic.

This is on 70* day.

Im no expert by from everything Ive gathered here on the forums about engine temps, your readings are just fine so you should not be worrying about it. Just keep up with all your fluid changes and you will be good. Im just happy because Ive been holding off the 180 thermostat for so long, in part due to money and the bad weather. So having finally got it and installed Im thrilled at the results. One more thing to check off on the to do list. Good luck to you man and glad to hear you are getting good temp readings.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Winching

Same to you.

Still gonna be paranoid though.. lmao.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:24 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

As long as the AUX fan does not come on in the parking lot when you are idling and it is cold outside - then you are all A-OK.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did mine the other day too! Glad it's done. Outside temps were upper 50's to low 60's when I did the test drive... Results were great and I was getting temps @ 185* while driving @ 55mph. 196* @ idle. But definitely an improvement.

I watched those same videos...over and over. I could never have owned this vehicle pre-internet. Thanks Al Gore for the invention.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Winching

^^^^^^^^Lmao.. I agree with that

Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Winching

So uhh.. 204 waiting at a light today.. do I worry? Or is paranoia getting the best of me? Lol

Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Cool.
Now put a Nissens radiator into it from Rock Auto.
Put on a Hayden fan clutch.

Then you can put your OBD2 reader away
as your problem are over.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
So uhh.. 204 waiting at a light today.. do I worry? Or is paranoia getting the best of me? Lol
Mine will climb to 204 sometimes at lights, but I generally don't worry. On the highway its at 186 to 190, as long as I'm moving forward I will see 190 to 194, and when I'm stopped it will usually get up 201.2 before the light gets going again. Those are all for mid 80s temps.

Originally Posted by jfall
Put on a Hayden fan clutch.
Do you have a particular part number?

Last edited by ScreamingLife; 04-14-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally got the 180 TDI thermostat installed! Already notice a difference