Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Destination 2 MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Firestone Destination 2 MT

If I wanted to upgrade to the Grabbers for snow purposes (tons of snow in Cleveland, USA) will pavement tear them up, and will they be a lot noisier than my current all-season Goodyears? I was thinking about just getting snow tires but the idea of an off-road/snow tire is more appealing.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the Grabbers are all terrain, they will do fine on the road.They are not noisy at ALL believe it or not! Compared to the BFG All terrain, the Grabbers are MUCH quieter, my friends Jeep GC has them and the seem to hum all the time on the hwy. As for wear, I have had mine for about 5,000 and they still look brand new, and thats with mostly on road use (unfortunatly...) I have read reviews that say they do very well all the way up to 60,000. They are great quality, not to expensive, and they preform very well in the ice (not snow tested yet...no snow to test in....). I would recommend them anytime for mixed use driving. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just put a set of bridgestone dueller A/Ts on my 2000 disco II and they are terrific! they are quiet and smooth on pavement but the work great off road too - the only thing i havent tried them in was deep mud. they were pretty ecconimically priced as well. my only complaint it that they pick up gravel in the tread that takes a mile or so of hard-ball driving to remove.

i went in to the tire store intending to purchase a set of destination M/Ts but the sales guy talked me into the A/T. even saved me a couple hundred bucks while he was at it.

good luck

Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

General Grabber AT2's in 18" size 255/55 R18, I go off road quite a bit, they are good in gravel, mud (not thick stuff),on rocky trailsetc etc, have not tested in snow as we aint hadnone over here yet [:@]..............no real diff in road noise or grip either , would I recommend them, oh yes, would I buy them again, yes...........nuff said

Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Snow, in Cleveland? What do you get, like 12" a year?

The BFG A/T's are a crappy tire in the snow, they are WAY overpriced and you will be stuck more often than you will be moving.

I have heard lots of good things about the Generals, I do not own a set but they do come highly recommended.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

http://coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx

These are a GREAT tire, 60% on road and 40% off road. And they come in a 18".
Your link lead to Coopers main page (its all in flash, so its not easy to link to a specific page on their site).

Were you referring to the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus?

Since I bought my Disco in October, Ive known I was going to need a new set of tires - the previous owner of my Disco didnt have the best taste in tires. Currently, I have these (Toyo Proxes S/T) mounted:

Actually... I have 3 of em mounted. The rear right wheel has a Goodyear Wrangler of some sort mounted. Gross. Pretty much good for nothing on a Discovery. Furthermore, theyre directional - I learned my lesson with directional tires with a previous car.

Ive been dragging my feet on getting a new set of tires, but it seems my procrastination has come back to bite me in the *** as we have 5+ inches of snow on its way to Madison right now. The Toyo Proxes S/T tires, while rated for mud and snow, are absolute junk at the very sight of snow. Unfortunately, the 18" wheels yield a very limited tire choice if youre looking for more of an all-terrain tire that will perform well in snow. I narrowed down what I could find based on reviews and price to these tires for the Discoverys 18" wheel (and avoided directional tread patterns):

Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus ($100 each plus shipping):

Nitto Terra Grappler AT ($156 each @ DiscountTireDirect.com, free shipping)

Toyo Open Country AT ($170 each at Tires-easy.com, plus shipping):

General Grabber AT2 ($179 each at TireRack.com plus shipping):

Pirelli Scorpion ATR ($194 each at TireRack.com, plus shipping):

I tend to research things to death before I make a purchase; however, I think Ive settled on the Nittos. They seem to get favorable reviews from both DiscountTireDirect.com and a few Disco owners here.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The grabbers are WAY overpriced on there, I ordered them for $100 bucks each.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

The grabbers are WAY overpriced on there, I ordered them for $100 bucks each.
Where from?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...mp;season=Snow
These are the tires I was reffering to.
I can only speak for tires that I have used, my Montero came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T's, a good highway tire, they sucked in the snow and were not good off road.
I then went with the Toyo Open Country A/T, a great tire, great in the snow, good off road and a nice highway ride.
I then went with a Dunlop, I will have to look for the link, I want to buy those tires again, very aggressive off road, great in the snow and good on road.
I had to get rid of the Montero with those Dunlops still on her.
My Disco has Michlin LTX M/S tire on it, they came on it and I have not yet replaced them. A great all around tire, great on the road and good off road.
On my FedEx van I have had the Cooper S/T, the BFG A/T, Cooper ATR, and the Cooper H/T.
The Cooper ATR wore out in 2 months, the Cooper H/T is only good for dry/wet roads.
Now mind you that I need new tires every 4-6 months,so the H/T's are good for the summer, but the others are good for snow.
The Cooper S/T is by far hands down a better tire than the BFG A/T. The Coopers would dig in and bite in deep snow, soft dirt and sand and mud, the BFG would just spin.
The Cooper I could spin on ice to heat up the tire and melt down to dry ground, the BFG I could not, they wore out WAY to fast that way.
If I can go through 6" of fresh snow in a cargo van with one tire but get stuck with another...I would not buy the BFG A/T's.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I have an 07 Dodge Durango for work and have to run on dozer tracks and fire trails for gas wells. I run Goodyears Wrangler MT/R's on that machine 285-70-17's and love them they clean great and are all but impossible to spin. Although I know its an option, I have never air this tire down and have been over and through most everything. They have a tendency to wear if you dont watch them, keep them rotated and balanced and I get a solid 30,000 miles out of them but, you have to watch them if they start cupping and you say awwww I'll do it at the end of the month = rotate them a hundred times and you won't bring em back. Goodyear lists them in a 275-65-18 don't know if that size will help you or not.

PS - you will experience road noise, some say howl, some say sing, I say I Like it

Robert

Quick Reply: Firestone Destination 2 MT