Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Disco Purchase Ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Disco Purchase Ahead

Hello everyone,

First, thank you for your help thus far. Even as this is my first post, I have done a lot of research and reading on these forums and this community has proved invaluable in my decision making process.

However, I would like some personal advice before I make the final decision.

I am looking at buying one of several trucks at the moment. Either:

A) 2003 Disco SE7 with 67k on it. The dealer wants $11,500. It has been properly serviced including the 60k. They are offering a $3000 warranty for 2yrs, 24k miles. It covers everything (through GM Major Guard) with a $100 deductible. The truck does not have air suspension. It has new tires, and a head gasket replaced at 47k miles. Truck has had all the usual repairs like windows, rear latch, door latches, etc... Nothing major has been done to the ABS or the traction control, or descent control.

B) A private seller is offering his 2003 Disco SE for $10k with 50k miles on it. The only problem is that verifying the service work has been completed and then getting a warranty may be more difficult.

C) A 2004 Disco HS with 87k miles on it by private seller for just under $9k. Again, proving maintanance etc... will be more difficult, as will obtaining a warranty.

D) A 2004 Disco HSE with 64k miles on it, offered by another dealership for $13k. I haven't talked to them yet to find out about maintanence and repairs. I imagine I could work a warrenty out of them. I cannot visually inspect this car because it is out of state and I would have to have it shipped to me. Does $13k seem like a fare price--according to Edmunds TMV its priced at about 600 below TMV; however, that isn't accounting for parts that may need to be replaced later and tires that are at 60% tread life.

Given all these options, which do you think I should go for, and what do you think my asking price should be. The big question for me is between A and D, but I threw in B and C just in case you had some better insight. Do I go for an 03 disco that appears to have been well maintained, or an 04 with slightly less miles (apparently the better year) that will be a headache to verify? Also, does the warranty for $3000 seem a bit steep? Its essentially a factory warranty.

Thank you,
Phillip

edit: The VIN number is outside the range for the bad oil pump--just checked.

Last edited by phil29; 10-19-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go here: A 2004 Disco HS with 87k miles on it by private seller for just under $9k. Again, proving maintanance etc... will be more difficult, as will obtaining a warranty.

Take the truck to the dealership for a thorough inspection. Keep the extra few k in your pocket for repairs/mods. 2004 is the best year Disco.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry, I meant an '04 Disco SE with 87k, not HS. Does that change your opinion much?

Also, should I be worried if the '04 SE has air suspension on it?

My main concern with the 87k '04 SE was the number of miles already on the truck. This may be due to ignorance on my behalf, but its always nice to have your nerves soothed by people who have already "been there". Is 87k on an '04 Disco a cause for concern? The private seller is claiming it was a company car and that they kept on top of all the repairs. Assuming they did, is there anything I should be worried about with an 87k mile disco?

Also, what reprocussions would there be if the prior owner had forgone the 60k and 75k maintenances? If that is the case, is that a deal breaker at 87k miles?

Also, do you think I could pressure the guy with the 87k Disco to go any lower--assuming future repairs etc, or would that just be tacky?

Thanks,
Phillip

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't care much about the models...have an S and it has all the features i need. not sure about SLS, someone else can chime in.

i understand the anxiety with a truck purchase. have you driven it? there's a lot to be said for a loving feeling during the test drive.

go drive several of em...and have the one you like best inspected. nothing like an inspection to justify the price coming down.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Indeed. Thank you. I neglected to mention that the 87k model is out of state, but I will have an independent inspection done on it and ill test drive a few different years to try and get the feel.

I think you may have sold me on the 04 model sir. Thanks for the nudge. I'm definately excited and I have never even driven a single Land Rover. I've always had a secret admiration for them.

PS--the newer models (L3 and L4) are a travesty. Its unfortunate that the rugged look of the Land Rover is being replaced by the look of a lincoln towncar.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not an expert by any means but the lower miles for a lower price is usually a smart choice and i think the 04 was the last model with the diff lock definatly a plus. also a private seller is a good way to go since
people aren't trying to make money just get what they feel is fair for the vehicle, the dealer has to make money and everyone has their hands in the cookie jar.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Get the '04 and don't look back.
And if you buy a extended warranty I will come to your house in the middle of the night and beat you with the threaded end of a 3' lead pipe.
Seriously, I will, extended warranties are a huge waste of money for you and a huge commission for the salesman.

You don't need maintenance records, look the truck over, or have it looked over, I can go to Office Max and buy a receipt book and write up maintenance records all day long.

Look it over, test drive it, if it is meant to be it will be, use your heart not your head.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep a eye on this thread.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25967
I HATE aftermarket warranty companies, they are out to make money not fix your truck.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Even warranties that are offered through dealerships such as the GM Protection Plan? Also, how is the reliability of the '04 rear air suspension? Ive been trying to avoid it like the plague but it seems that the 87k '04 model may have that "feature"--Im trying to confirm with the seller.

Last edited by phil29; 10-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Drifting

If the model is an HSE it more than likely has air bag suspension for the ACE. The SE model more than likely does not have it. The HSE also usually included entertainment packages. The S model is very similiar to the SE but some different trim including the Duragrain rather than leather.

Quick Reply: First Disco Purchase Ahead